[26] Our Differences

Kamek brought you and himself to the throne room upon Bowser's request. Upon entering, the Koopa King's facial features hardened as his eyes landed on you. "Why is she here? I requested only you." The man states harshly at the magician. 

Geez, what crawled up his butt and died? 

"I know, sire. But forgive me, she insisted. It's the least we can do to repay her kindness." 

Bowser huffs, turning away. 

"What is it you need from me, sire?" The magician asks rather hasty. 

"Nevermind. It's a private matter but not urgent." Bowser gets up and stomps down the stairs, standing over you and Kamek. "You're dismissed for now. Let (F/n), and I discuss about her matters."

Kamek nods, mouthing good luck to you before vanishing. 

"What is so important you felt the need to drag yourself here-?"

"It's about Junior." You interrupt the man mid-sentence. 

The mention of his son caught his attention. "What about him?"

"I heard through the grapevine that it's his birthday soon, and I think throwing him a party would be nice." You suggest, trying to keep your cool despite his attitude towards you. 

This isn't about me, at least not right now. 

It's about a child you grew to love and care for. 

He folds his arms. "We've never thrown a birthday party for anyone before. Junior gets the most for his day by choosing a desired destination and many gifts. And in case you haven't noticed, my son doesn't have friends besides his siblings." The man raises a brow. "So, who would you even invite?" Bowser communicates harshly and directly.

You feel a boiling sensation from within, despising his behavior.

A simple yes or no would be enough...

You try your hardest not to mention how much of a dick he was being. "I just think it'd be nice for a change if that's every birthday he's had so far. He's turning twelve, for goodness sake! The last year before he officially enters his teenage years. Besides, it doesn't have to be anything big! We can have food, music, games!" You force a smile. "Don't you think?" 

He sighs deeply, almost tossing his head back in frustration.

You pause, frowning as a stillness lingers before you speak up. "Please tell me I'm not as forgettable as your silence is making me feel lately..." You say with a glisten of sadness in your tired eyes.

A wave of goosebumps flowed over the man, making him shiver. Your words and reaction have an impact he didn't expect. He shakes off the feeling and sighs. "Don't take it personally. It'll only hurt you more."

"Your majesty, please..." You say softly, reaching for his arm but stopping midway. "This isn't about me."

It felt like an eternity before either of you spoke. Like he was waiting for more but you didn't give him that satisfaction. While avoiding your gaze, he decides to speak. "Do you have a layout of everything you'd think he'd like?"

You snap out of your emotions and nod rapidly. "I do! If that's okay, I'll need the correct supplies and a couple of your people."

"Fine, but this better be a grand party if you're this invested."

"Trust me, it'll be grand." You grin, which makes Bowser nod in response. 

"Since you're already here, have you thought of any plans for Peach and her kingdom like you promised?" He questions out of the blue. 

You've been so distracted that faking plans didn't cross your mind. You had to keep him in the dark while lending your aid, as you declared on that day. 

Lucky for you, you're good at thinking on your feet. 

"Of course, your highness-!" 

"Let's hear them then." 

You hesitate for a second but go along with whatever decides to spill out of your mouth. "A softer approach." You start. "Everything you've done up until now, but not so forceful. You don't want to make yourself look aggressive and desperate."

Bowser slightly frowned, scratching his head, knowing he'd already made a fool of himself. 

"Get her to fall naturally instead of taking her and her kingdom by force is better. Things will flow easier between you two and both kingdoms, along with its citizens. Don't you agree?"

He rubs his chin, thinking to himself, and tries to see your side of things. "I'll keep that in mind." 

"And above all, it also prevents a high chance of rebellion within the princess or other opposing forces."

"Yes, yes." Bowser looks your way. "Not bad, woman. But it can be better. Try to figure out a more detailed version of what you just proposed, and we might have something greater." Bowser mentions rather menacingly. A hint of evil sparkles briefly in his eyes before he settles down at the possibilities. "You may leave if you please," Bowser says, walking back up the stairs and pulling out a piano nearby. 

What the-? 

"What's that for?" You ask confusingly. 

"Don't worry about it, and continue your duties."

"As you wish." You mumble, bow, and walk away. Once the giant doors are shut tightly, you hear the piano start playing. You lean your ear against the doors to better listen to what Bowser is playing. 

The melody was lovely. 

Everything seemed pleasant until you heard him start singing about Princess Peach. 

For a while, all you could hear was: Peaches, peaches, peaches, peaches, peaches, peaches, peaches, peaches, peaches...  

You don't know whether to laugh or roll your eyes, but you go with the third non-existent option and leave instead, already brainstorming what you will do for Junior's party. 

A bouncy house? 

A pinata? 

An eating contest? 

There are so many options; what do I do?! 

You lament in your mind, not noticing where you are going, and bump into Junior.

"Hey, (F/n)! What's wrong? You look like you're thinking quite hard." 

You chuckle. "Yes, as a matter of fact."

An idea pops into your head. 

"Say, would you like to help me with something?"

TIL THE NEXT CHAPTER! ('')