Chapter 2

Stiles pulled into a parking space at the school and turned off his engine.

Fionnuala, who was sitting in his passenger seat, turned to look at him.

"How was your sleep last night?"

"Oh, shut up."

"I'm being serious, Stiles. How was your sleep last night?"

"It was fine. Come on. First day back at school. Don't want to be late. Oh, by the way, could I be part of your -"

"Absolutely not."

"What? You didn't even let me finish."

"I didn't need to. You want to be part of my study group. Except here's the thing, Stiles. You're not actually gonna be studying. You'll be too busy daydreaming."

"Oh? And who would I be daydreaming about?"

"The girl who you've had a crush on since third grade, okay? Lydia Martin. No, you're not joining my study group. Make your own. Maybe with your lacrosse team." With that, she got out and started walking into school.

Stiles got out of his jeep and was immediately approached by Scott.

"Dude, I think I was bitten last night after you left."

"Bitten? By what?"

"Couldn't see that well. But it looked like a wolf."

"Really? A wolf? There aren't any wolves in California, man. There haven't been any in, like, 60 years."

"Well, this animal definitely looked like a wolf. By the way, I dropped my inhaler last night. We need to go back that way after school and find it."

"Alright. By the way, do you know where Fi is going after school?"

"No. Why?"

"Because she told my dad there's a study group she's attending tonight around 5ish at Lydia's place. But school lets out at 3. Where would she be going for 2 hours?"

"Uh, home?"

"No, she told my dad she would be going somewhere else for those two hours. She didn't say where she was going and Dad didn't ask."

"Well, did she tell you?"

"No. And I'm the one with the car!"

"Maybe she doesn't need you to drive her there."

"Seriously, Scott? Defending Fi over me?"

"Just saying. She probably has another ride to wherever she's going for two hours after school."

"You know, that makes it sound like you know where she's going."

"I'm being honest, Stiles. I don't."

"Fine. You better not be lying though."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When school let out at 3, Fionnuala stepped outside and breathed in the fresh air. Stiles and Scott still had lacrosse tryouts, so she could leave without them pegging her with questions about where she was going for 2 hours.

A black car pulled up in front of the school steps and the passenger side window rolled down, revealing Derek wearing sunglasses.

"Hi there, gorgeous."

"Hey there, handsome," she responded, opening the door and getting in, rolling up the window after she closed the door.

"How was your first day of high school?"

"Surprisingly bearable. I think I can handle sophomore year."

"Well, you did amazingly in summer school. So there's no doubt you'll do amazing in sophomore year of high school."

"Are we just gonna sit here and talk or are we gonna go somewhere a little more private?"

"Oh, definitely somewhere more private." Derek pulled away from the school and began driving down the road. "So where's your brother right now?"

"Lacrosse tryouts."

"Fantastic. More time to ourselves."

She laughed, as he picked up her hand and kissed the back of it. "I'm looking forward to the next two hours."