Chapter 19

"Derek? Please tell me you're alive."

Derek groaned. "I'm in a lot of pain right now."

"You were thrown against the wall of the school. It'd make sense that you are in a lot of pain. Does anything feel broken?"

"Not that I can tell."

"Yeah, me neither. Can you try to move for me?"

Derek nodded and began to slowly move each of his limbs while she knelt next to him. 

"Yeah, I don't think anything's broken."

"Alright. I'm gonna roll you onto your back, okay? Tell me if anything hurts."

"Yeah."

As soon as Derek said that, Fionnuala rolled him onto his back. He hissed.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I think so. Back hurts."

"Alright. We're gonna stand up and see if you can walk. Are you okay with that?"

"Yeah." Derek put one hand on the ground as Fionnuala stood up and grabbed his other hand. He pushed against the ground as she pulled him up with the other.

"How are you feeling?"

"Back still hurts. But it's not that bad."

"Hey, you're a werewolf. It'll heal."

He nodded. "That's true."

"We can take it slow as we go back to your loft."

"Agreed." He smiled at her just as a car pulled into the parking lot. "Ow," he said, as Fionnuala pushed him up against the wall, out of sight of the new arrivals. "Who knew someone as short as you had that much strength."

"Sorry," she whispered. "I didn't mean to- hey!"

He chuckled under his breath. "You didn't mean to hurt me?"

"Yeah. But did you just call me short?"

"Maybe, if you were paying attention to what I was saying 15 seconds ago." He leaned forward a little to try and get a look. "I think we're hidden enough to sneak away without being seen."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, pretty sure."

"Alright. We need to get you home so that you can change. You've got blood all over your clothes."

"That's what happens when you're impaled."

"Have you healed yet?"

"No. This was caused by an Alpha. And Alpha-inflicted injuries heal slower than normal injuries. It's beginning to, but it'll probably take a few hours."

"Makes sense since you were just impaled."

They began walking along the wall until they rounded the corner of the building before they began to walk normally, albeit slowly away from the high school.

When they arrived back at his loft, Fionnuala detached herself from his side to grab him a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt and also began heating some hot packs in case he was still in pain. She went back over to Derek who had relocated himself to his bed and knelt next to him.

"Hey, I got you some fresh pants and a t-shirt," she said, softly. "How's your back feeling?"

"Still hurts a little."

"Well, I've got some hot packs warming up. While we wait, let's get you changed, yeah?"

He nodded.

"Good. I can help you with your shirt, but I'm afraid you'll have to get your pants by yourself."