Chapter 28

Derek and Stiles ran inside the hospital with Stiles yelling, "Can anyone tell me where Melissa is?"

Fionnuala groaned and buried her face in Derek's chest. "Too loud."

He smiled. "I know, sunshine."

"Why? What's wrong?" the receptionist asked

"16-year-old female with a fever of 103. Fever reducer has not worked in attempting to bring it down," Derek said.

"Melissa McCall is the only one who knows the procedure for her," Stiles continued urgently. "It's my sister Fi."

The receptionist nodded and called Melissa.

"Everyone knows your sister, huh?" Derek asked.

"At the hospital at least." Stiles sighed. "Other than school, your place and my house, it's where she is the most."

"Stiles?"

"Melissa, hey."

"You said it's Fi?"

"Yeah."

"Alright, follow me." She led Stiles and Derek into a room and closed the door. "Put her on the bed and talk to me."

"She's had a fever since late yesterday afternoon," Stiles began. "It was the same temperature the whole time up to when my dad came home. I tried giving her fever reducer yesterday, but, as usual-"

"-her body refused it." Melissa nodded.

"I told that to my dad and he said since her temperature hadn't changed, she'd be okay to be by herself last night. This morning, I went in to check on her and found her burning up. Way worse than yesterday."

"Alright, sweetie. It's gonna be like all those other times, okay?" Melissa said to Fionnuala.

The young girl nodded.

"Alright. I'm gonna take your blanket and hoodie away. My goodness, it swamps you!"

She smiled weakly. "I know."

Melissa began placing ice packs wrapped in towels on her arms and legs to try and bring her temperature down. When she finally had a chance to look over at Stiles, she saw Derek.

"Stiles, do you know who-"

"Yeah, Melissa. I know. And he's not a murderer. Scott just needed someone to pin the blame on and since Derek was blamed for a different murder, he seemed like the perfect person to blame."

"How do you know him, Stiles?"

"Scott and I ran into him when Scott lost his inhaler. We were looking for it."

"And he was the first person you called to get your sister to the hospital?"

"She was at my place yesterday," Derek butted in. "She had spent part of the previous night, taking care of some injuries that I had gotten. After lunch, she took a nap and woke up with a fever. So I brought her home because I did not have first aid supplies at my place. I asked Stiles to keep me updated on how she was doing."

"What was she doing at your place, Derek?"

"The two of us are kind of an item. Have been since summer. We're trying to keep it on the down low. We don't want her dad to know just yet."

"Fair."

"I heard you don't use medicine to help get Isolde better."

"Isolde?"

"Yeah. She only lets him call her by her middle name."

"Well, yes. But it also depends on what sickness she has. Because from what I can tell, she doesn't have just a fever."

"Not just a fever?" Stiles sounded worried. "What else does she have?"

"Don't know yet. Let's see if she can answer a few questions for us. Fi? Sweetheart, can you hear me?"

"Yeah."

"Well, we already know you have a fever. Do you have body chills?"

She nodded.

"Okay. How about a cough?"

The young girl nodded again. "A bad cough."

"Does your chest hurt when you cough?"

"Uh-huh."

Melissa pursed her lips, looking worried. Unfortunately, Stiles and Derek saw.

"What? What is it? What does she have?" Stiles asked.

"It sounds like she's got pneumonia again, Stiles."

"Again?" Forget worried, Derek was majorly concerned now. "Stiles, how many times has she gotten this?"

"She comes down with it at least twice a year. Then there are just normal fevers that land her here because fever reducer won't do anything."

"At least twice a year? Just for pneumonia?"

Stiles bit his lip. "Yeah."

"Look. It's not gonna help anyone if you guys start panicking. She's here now. I'm with her. Don't worry. She's in good hands. Stiles, I call you or your dad if anything changes."

"Call me. And, Melissa?"

"Yeah?"

"For Fi's sake and Derek's sake, please don't tell the cops he was here. He's not a murderer. He didn't kill any of the people they're accusing him of killing."

"Alright. I won't. Now go. She's in good hands."

The two nodded and left.

They were sitting in Derek's car, Derek in the driver's seat. He had his hands on the wheel with his forehead resting against it.

"Whatcha thinking about?" Stiles asked.

"What do you think, Stiles? My girlfriend is in there. Nobody ever told me she had a weak immune system that landed her in the hospital with pneumonia at least twice a year."

"She was my sister before she was your girlfriend."

"You're used to it though, Stiles."

"Am I though? Twice a year it's for pneumonia, Derek. Just pneumonia! All the other times, simple fevers that fever reducers can't even take care of! Each time she goes in there, I'm scared she's never gonna come out again. Sure, she's annoying. But she's still my little sister and I don't want to lose her."

Derek nodded. "You're right. That was insensitive of me. She's your sister. Always has been, always will be. She's only been my girlfriend for a few months. I just hate that she never told me about her immune system."

"She doesn't like to broadcast it."

"Couldn't tell. But her boyfriend deserves to know, at least, right?"

Stiles nodded in agreement. "That, I have to agree with." He sighed. "She's with Melissa now though. And Melissa knows what she's doing."