Chapter 13

A few weeks passed with nothing happening.

Fionnuala felt a little relieved that Stiles now knew about her and Derek and thankful that he promised not to rat her out to their dad.

Stiles was very proud of himself to say the least. His grades were looking up and things seemed to be getting better.

But the good feelings did not last. They never do.

"Parent-teacher conferences are tonight," Mr. Harris, their chemistry teacher, said before their final class of the day. "Anyone with a grade below a C- is required to attend tonight." He looked around. "Has anyone seen Mr. McCall?"

Stiles looked up from where he was highlighting his book as Mr. Harris turned back to the board.

"Mr. Stilinski, try putting the highlighter down between paragraphs. It's chemistry, not a coloring book."

Stiles rolled his eyes and capped his highlighter. Fionnuala covered her mouth to try and hide a smile as he leaned over to talk to one of their classmates.

After class, Stiles hurried out of the classroom. Fionnuala quickly caught up with him.

"Stiles, where are you going?"

"Danny said that Lydia wasn't in his homeroom this morning. I'm going to go check on her."

"Why? She may just be feeling under the weather."

"No." Stiles turned to look at her. "I was with Dad last night. There was a murder at the DVD rental place last night. Jackson and Lydia were there."

"Jackson from the lacrosse team?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"He wasn't looking too hot in chemistry earlier."

"Well, I'm gonna go check in on her. See how she's doing."

"Alright. I'm gonna go wait for Derek."

"Okay. See you later?"

"You know it."

Derek was parked out in front of the school steps when she finally got out there.

"Hey, what are we gonna do today?" she asked, getting in.

"We'll head back to my place." He pulled away from the school.

"Your arm okay?"

"Never better."

"Do you have homework?"

"Yeah. The study group is cancelled tonight. Lydia wasn't at school today."

"Alright. More time at my place."

"You probably have some important stuff to do. So I'll sit and do my homework while you work out."

"Who said I'll be working out?"

"Me." She smiled. "Come on."

Derek parked the car behind the house and got out. "Really? I'm working out because you said so?"

"Yeah, you have to get your strength back into your arm." She turned and headed into the house.

"I told you my arm is fine."

"Doesn't matter. Come on, hot stuff. I'm gonna get a start on my homework, you get a start on yours."

"Alright." He took his shirt off. "Go ahead."

With a smile, she sat down at a table and began completing her homework.

There was silence for about 10 minutes only broken by pages turning, before Derek who had been doing push-ups, said, "Isolde, sh."