Chapter 14

"Kids! I'm here!"

"Tara!" Stiles ran down the stairs with a grin on his face. "What's for dinner tonight?"

"I brought my pot roast. How does that sound?"

"It smells great!"

"Fi? You coming down for dinner?"

"Yeah, I'm right here," Fionnuala responded, walking down the stairs.

"Hey, you doing okay?" Tara looked worried. "You're looking a little pale, sweetie."

"Yeah. I just didn't eat a lot for lunch. I guess the hunger is finally catching up with me."

"Well, there's nothing like a good dinner to solve that problem," Stiles said.

Tara served up the food and they all sat down. "Where's your dad?"

"At a parent-teacher conference," Stiles answered.

"Think we should save some pot roast for him?"

"I think he'd appreciate that," Fionnuala replied.

"How's school been?"

"Good. Fi and I have our own study group and my grades are definitely going up."

"That's good. Fi, how about you?"

"Everything's been fine." She quickly finished off her food and excused herself from the table. "I have homework I need to finish. Thanks for dinner, Tara."

"No problem, honey."

Fionnuala put her dishes in the sink and ran up the stairs.

"Your sister is acting a little off tonight." Tara looked at Stiles. "Do you know what's wrong?"

"Maybe she's got an assignment that's due really soon and she forgot about it?"

"Stiles, we know what your sister is like. She keeps track of these sorts of things so that doesn't happen."

"There's a first time for everything."

"I guess so." The deputy stood up and stretched. "Alright. I'm gonna head off home. You think you guys will be okay by yourselves tonight?"

Stiles nodded. "We'll be okay."

"Okay. See you later."

As soon as the deputy left, Stiles ran upstairs to his sister's room where he found her at her desk doing her homework.

"Wait, I thought that was just an excuse to leave the table."

"It was, but I still have homework to complete."

"Fi, please talk to me."

"What am I supposed to talk about, Stiles?" She spun around to look at him. "That I felt helpless? That I couldn't do anything to help him? She tortured him! I heard electricity! I heard her say to him that it was 900,000 volts! He was tortured, Stiles!" Tears began to trickle down her cheeks. "He was defenseless," she whispered. "He couldn't do anything."

"He kept you safe though, didn't he?"

"Yes. He had just barely enough time to hide me, but he did." She looked down at her phone. "I wish I could've done something more."

"What could you have done, Fi? You would've gotten hurt. He protected you."

"I don't know, Stiles! That's what I can't handle right now."

"Do you know where he's living now?"

"No. He dropped me off, told me he had another place to live for now and that he'd contact me and then he left."

"No kiss or 'I love you'?"

Fionnuala looked at him. "I thought you didn't like knowing we did that."

"If he cared about you, he would kiss you and tell you he loved you."

"We were in a rush. I don't know if the woman saw me as we were leaving. He wanted to get to his hideout as soon as possible."

"I can have Scott sniff out his scent so-"

"No, Stiles. Give Derek some space. He probably really needs it right now."

"And that's exactly why we need to find him bec-"

"Stiles. Leave Derek alone. Besides, you have homework, right?"

"Yeah. Yeah, I do. Fine. I'll go do my homework. Get some sleep tonight, okay? Derek's gonna be okay. You're gonna be okay. Don't worry about anything else."

"Alright. Now go do your homework. You don't want to go losing that streak now, do you?"

He smiled at her. "Of course not. Leaving to do it right now."

She nodded as he left, closing her door.

"I know you'll be leaving as soon as it's complete though," she murmured, returning to her own homework.