Chapter 30

The following morning, Fionnuala was discharged just as Melissa promised and was brought home by her father.

"Do you need me home?" he asked, placing her on the couch.

"No, Dad. It's okay. Melissa said she'd be stopping by to and from work. You can go ahead and go to work." She smiled at him. "I'll be okay. I promised her that I would take it easy for the next couple of weeks."

"Good." He gave her a kiss on her forehead. "Alright. I'm gonna go to work now." Sheriff Stilinski grabbed his keys and jacket before leaving and locking the door behind him.

Fionnuala sat up on the couch and watched as he backed his car out of the driveway and drove off.

"Alright. You can come out now," she said, sitting back and smiling as her boyfriend stepped out of the shadows. "Hey."

"Morning, sunshine."

"Good morning to you too, handsome."

"You look a lot better than when I last brought you home."

"I feel a lot better too."

He leaned down and gave her a kiss. "I missed you."

She laughed. "You saw me last night."

"So?"

Suddenly, her phone started ringing. She sighed and picked it up. "Hello?"

"Fi? It's Stiles."

"Hey, Stiles. What's wrong?"

"Dad set up cameras inside the house to keep an eye on you while he's at work."

"And you didn't think to tell Derek this when you let him into the house? Do you want him to get caught?"

"It slipped my mind! I promise!"

Fionnuala sighed and hung up, looking at Derek. "Turns out my dad set up cameras inside the house to babysit me while he's at work."

"Wow. Obsessive much?"

"Not obsessive. Concerned." She gave him a kiss. "I don't want my dad to catch you. He's still on his way to work. It's a 20-minute drive. We can Facetime later, okay?"

Derek sighed. "Okay. Text me when it's a good time. I love you, okay?"

"I love you too." She smiled as he turned and left. "Let's just hope these cameras don't have a playback feature," she added, under her breath.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night, Derek sighed. Today had been brutal. He wasn't able to talk to Fionnuala that much, because Melissa said she needed to get more rest. And he'd been trying to follow the Alpha's tracks for over two hours in an attempt to find him.

Mr. Harris, one of the high school teachers, had stayed later to clean up the chalkboard and prepare the next day's lessons.

Derek sighed, prepared to admit defeat tonight because this felt like another dead end when he heard it. The Alpha's voice. He was talking to Mr. Harris.

"Please don't kill me."

"Do you know who wrote that list?"

"Laura. Laura Hale."

"Do you know why she was looking for you? I know why. Turn around, Adrian. Turn around and I'll show you." He saw Mr. Harris shake his head before the Alpha spoke again. "Turn around!"

"No. Please."

"Look at me. Look at what you've done!"

Derek saw a desk hit the chalkboard and Mr. Harris flinch. He charged into the room and yelled, "Get down!" He pulled the teacher to the floor as another desk was thrown. He looked up in time to see the classroom door swing shut. He stood up to follow the Alpha, but stopped when headlights showed in through the classroom windows.