Chapter 8

At the end of the school day, Fionnuala sat down on the bleachers to watch her older brother play lacrosse since he was her ride home.

Lydia and Allison came and sat down on either side of her while she sat there, her elbows on her knees and her chin in her hands.

"What's wrong, Fi?" Lydia asked.

"I have to wait for lacrosse practice to be over because Stiles is my ride home."

"Have you done your homework for today?" Allison added.

"Yep."

"Fi, you just got a notification."

"Probably Stiles saying he can't bring me home because lacrosse is gonna be a while longer or my dad messaging me about something."

"Mm, no. The contact name is a heart. Oh, you got another. The second one's from your dad."

"What does the second one say?"

"Don't worry about dinner tonight. I'm making it. What's he talking about?"

"He and Stiles are getting tired of eating the perfectly fine leftovers we have in our fridge for dinner. My guess is he's bringing home takeout." Fionnuala held out her hand for her phone. "I need to message him back. I'll see you guys tomorrow." She took her phone and walked away. She opened her messages and typed a quick message back to her father before opening the other unread message.

❤️: Where are you? I can't see you on the school steps. Where you usually wait.

Fi: Wait, they let you go?

❤️: I'll explain when you're in the car and we're headed back to my place.

Fi: I'll be right there.

When she got to the school parking lot, a smile lit up her face at the sight of the familiar black car parked in front of the steps. She hurried over and got in, immediately being greeted with a kiss.

"Hi," Derek greeted.

"Hey, handsome. We gonna go?"

"Sure thing."

As they drove away, she said, "So? Explanation, please?"

"Yes, they let me go. After I underwent a polygraph test. I passed with flying colors."

"Of course you would."

"What crime should I be arrested for?"

"Hm. Hottest boyfriend ever."

"No, that sounds more like an award."

"It can be an award and a crime. It should be illegal to be this hot." There was silence for a little while before she broke it. "If you were to murder someone, what would be your reason behind it?"

"If someone injured or killed you, I would gladly go to prison knowing I avenged you."

"Well, I'll do my best not to get killed or injured."

Derek made the turn onto his property and quickly pulled up to the house, parking the car.

"Well, I have some good news. I don't have study group tonight. I can stay an extra 30 minutes."

"Don't you have to make dinner tonight?"

"Nope. My dad's doing that. And besides, my family doesn't call it 'making dinner'. They call it 'reheating leftovers'."

"Well, are they wrong?"

"We don't have enough money to eat out every night. And last week, I made food every dinner that provided enough leftovers for this week. I've got a system going."

"And I'm proud of you for that."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm gonna head out now, Tara."

"Gonna try and eat dinner with the kids tonight, Sheriff?"

"Yes. That, and I don't want to eat leftovers for at least one night this week. So I'm getting pizza on the way home."

"Fi's gotta be real excited about that, is she?"

"I don't know. I know she has a system going on at home with dinner, but it's getting kind of monotonous."

"What's the system?"

"Well, last week she made a different dinner every night. But then it left us with the same meals every night this week."

"I agree. It does sound like you need a break from the monotony. This girl's in high school now. She's got her grades to worry about, not about what the next thing to feed her family is. But I also get her concern about saving money and not spending it on takeout every night."

"It's not gonna be every night. Just once a week."

"How about this. I'll come by once or twice a week and bring something homemade for you guys to eat. Something different every time. That way, you could still do one night of takeout and the other four nights you do leftovers."

"Tara, I can't ask you to do that."

"I know. And that's why I'm offering. Your daughter shouldn't have to worry about anything other than her grades."

"Alright. Don't worry about tonight. It's takeout night."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What are you doing?" Derek asked.

"Turning off my phone. Stiles told me he can't track my location. But I know that he could find somebody who would be able to. And the last thing I need is for him to find out where I am for two hours after school. I did it yesterday and he was not a fan."

"Course he isn't. Now tell me. How was school today?"

"It was school. Although it was harder to concentrate today considering I knew you were in jail."

"I was let out about 10 minutes after you left."

"Why didn't you text me?"

"It took me a bit of time to get my phone back from the cops."

"Well, I'm glad you're okay."

"Where's your homework?"

"Done. I finished it earlier. I was in the library. Then I went to find Stiles and found him still on the lacrosse field."

"You're so smart."

This one had kind of a bleh ending. So I'm really sorry about that. I don't know why, but my brain shortcircuited.