Chapter 35

"If I asked, would you have been willing to be my date to the Formal?" Fionnuala asked.

"Would I have had to wear a suit?" Derek replied.

"Yeah. But I wouldn't have argued."

"Of course not. It's me in a suit. Who would?"

"You."

"If anyone else would've asked me to the Formal and told me I had to wear a suit, yes, I would argue. But never for you."

She smiled at him. "I'm really that special?"

"Always." He closed his eyes. "I'm getting exhausted." He was about to drop off when he heard a howl.

"Is that-" Fionnuala began, but Derek interrupted her.

"Scott." He looked over at her. "It's Scott."

"What do wolves do to signal their position to the rest of the pack, Derek?"

"They howl," he answered. "I would tell you to cover your ears but you can't right now."

"Just do it. Signal where you are."

Derek took a deep breath and howled.

It took some time, but Scott finally arrived.

"Derek!" he said, running into the room. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." Derek shook his right hand free after Scott released it. "Take care of Isolde. She's over there."

Scott was working on the ropes that were tying her to the chair when the door opened. A man came in and turned the light on in Derek's face.

"Ready to have some more fun?" he asked. "To be honest, my knuckles are kind of hurting. So I brought some help." He held up a bat. "But I need to warn you. I used to play in college." He swung the bat around, prepared to hit Derek in the ribs when Derek grabbed the bat.

"I brought a little help too," he responded.

The man looked over to where Scott was standing beside Fionnuala's chair and looking at him. While he was distracted, Derek took the chance to land a punch which sent him flying. He hit the wall and slid to the floor, before he lay there, unconscious.

Derek reached down and ripped the bandages that were holding the wires to his side off.

"Scott, help me with this," he said as he reached up to free his other hand.

Scott, who had just finished freeing Fionnuala, shook his head. "No."

"What?"

"Not until you tell me how to stop Peter."

"You really want to talk about this right now?" Derek asked in disbelief.

"He's going after Allison and her family. He's going to kill them."

"So what?"

"So tell me how to stop him."

"You can't! Alright? Now-" He yanked on his last restraint before turning back to Scott. "I don't know when Kate's coming back, so just get me out of this right now! Get me out right now!"

"Promise you'll help me."

"Scott, please. Just help Derek."

"You want me to risk my life for your girlfriend, huh? For your stupid little teenage crush that means absolutely nothing?"

Scott nodded. "Maybe you're right. But I know something you don't. Peter said he didn't know what he was doing when he killed your sister, right? He lied. Remember this?" He held up the piece of paper with the deer that had the spiral on its side. "This is what brought your sister back to Beacon Hills, right?"