Chapter 22

Fionnuala woke up the next morning to her alarm with her head and one of her arms on Derek's chest and both of his arms wrapped around her. She was still on her side, but Derek was lying on his back.

She sat up suddenly, making him groan and open his eyes.

"What's wrong?" he asked. "Your alarm's going off, so you definitely didn't oversleep."

"Two things. One, I was lying with my head on your chest. And two, you are lying on your back!"

"Alright. I'm gonna give you my two things. One, the head on my chest? That was all you. I kept true to my word and gave you space last night. Your mind clearly could not handle it and, while sleeping, you rolled over until you were cuddled up to me. I wasn't about to cross my arms like a dead pharaoh and remain uncomfortable for the rest of the night. Yes, I rolled onto my side. So I lay on my back and, again not me, you put your head on my chest and we were both comfortable."

"So, your back doesn't hurt?"

"Nope. I feel very comfortable."

"That's good. Let's check your injury."

"Do we have to? We just woke up."

"And I have school in less than an hour. I need to eat breakfast, see about your laundry, remove the ice packs, return them to the freezer, and check your injury. So, yes. We have to."

Derek huffed. "Fine."

Fionnuala shook her head at him. "On your stomach."

He obeyed, before she pulled up the back of his shirt and removed the ice packs.

"Alright. I'll be right back." She stood up and left with the ice packs. She put them back in the freezer and went to check on Derek's clothes. Seeing that they were dry, she quickly folded them and brought them back to his room for him to change. But he wasn't there. She placed the clothes on his bed and went to check the bathroom. Not there either. One more place to check. She walked over to the kitchen and stood in the doorway. There he was with his back to her at the stove with just sweatpants on with a bedhead.. She sighed when she saw he didn't have the bandage on anymore either.

"I thought I told you to stay put."

He didn't have to turn around for her to know that he was smirking as he answered.

"I know. But you said that you had to be at school in less than an hour. So I decided to make you breakfast while you checked the laundry. And it's already done. Besides," he added, turning around with two plates in his hands, "you can't deny you love the sight in front of you." She smiled as he set them down on the table and walked over to her, giving her a proper hug. "Morning, sunshine."

She hugged him back. "Morning, handsome. And you're right. I love the sight in front of me. Your injury is gone, so that's also good."

"No more sore back, no more hole in my stomach." He gave her a kiss. "And I'm walking you to school today."

"Why?"

"Because, I left my car there. I need to pick it up."

"Alright."

Right at that moment, her phone started to ring.

"I better get that. It's probably Stiles wondering where my bag is even though it's right in plain sight."

"Okay." He let her go, before she went to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Fi?"

"Stiles, my bag is-"

"No, I don't care where your bag is. Dad said school is closed today and tomorrow because of what happened last night."

"Really?"

"Yeah. But I suggest you get home so that you can change your outfit. You gonna spend the whole day with Derek?"

"Yeah. I'll be over in a bit. I'm gonna eat breakfast first. Give me an hour."

"Okay. See you."

"What's happening? You skipping school?"

"No. School is closed today and tomorrow."

"Nice. More time together then."

"I have to go home and get a fresh change of clothes after breakfast. And while I'm doing that, you can go pick up your car from the school. Then you can wait at the end of the street and pick me up."

"Sounds like a plan. But from what I briefly overheard, you have an hour before you have to be home."

"Breakfast first." She smiled at him. "I'm looking forward to hanging out today."