Chapter 24

Fionnuala sat and watched Derek do push-ups and chin-ups for about an hour. Of course it wasn't an hour straight. There were water breaks.

When she finally checked the time, she said, "It's time for lunch. I'm gonna go make it."

"Can I help?" he asked.

"If you want to. If you don't, I'm not gonna force you."

"No, I want to." He got up from where he was doing his push-ups. "Let me just go freshen up and put on a shirt. Then I'll be right there. Don't start without me."

"Mm, no. You can go freshen up, but leave the shirt off. Who said you needed it for cooking lunch?"

"Uh, when the oil spits at you?"

"Who said oil was being used? And hello, what about getting grease stains on your shirt?"

"That's what aprons are for."

"Except fun fact. I would wear the apron if we were cooking with oil."

"But I should wear it, so you don't get hurt."

"You can cook with oil without an apron or a shirt."

"And get burned."

"Except, handsome, you're a werewolf and you can heal. I'm not. But we're not gonna be using oil in making lunch today."

"Oh? What is it we'll be using?"

"Bread and whatever condiments you have."

"So sandwiches?"

"Yes. Go ahead. Go freshen up." Fionnuala started to leave the room before she paused in the doorway and turned back around. "When you come to the kitchen, you'd better not have a shirt on."

"What is it with you and my shirt off?"

"It's rare that I get to spend a whole day with my boyfriend. I'm taking full advantage of this."

"Clearly."

She smiled and began to turn back to continue to the kitchen when Derek's voice stopped her.

"Wait! What was that?"

"What was what?"

"I know that smile. That's the 'I win' smile."

"Of course I win. I'm making lunch with you and getting you shirtless at the same time."

"But wait. Wouldn't that win go to me though? Because I wanted to make lunch with you."

"It can. But the extra points go to me."

"Why would they go to you?"

"You see, I said I was gonna go make lunch. I didn't ask you, because I knew that you would want to. But I wanted you to voice it. Then when you did say you wanted to, I pointed out that I wasn't forcing you to. You still said you wanted to help. So, extra points go to me."

"You did reverse psychology on me?"

"I did." She folded her arms. "But I also get a win. You're shirtless and you haven't really been complaining about it. Except for making lunch, but that didn't work."

"Obviously." Derek sighed. "I'll go freshen up and meet you in the kitchen."

It took him a couple minutes to clean up before he went to the kitchen where Fionnuala was standing with her back to him, looking in the fridge. She hadn't seemed to notice him yet so he snuck up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist, bending down to land a kiss on her cheek.

"What sandwich options do we have?"

"Meat and cheese. Peanut butter and jelly. Grilled cheese."

"What about the container you have in your bag?"