Chapter 18

When Derek arrived at the veterinarian and had entered the building, he heard the vet say, "Scott, you're late again. I hope this isn't getting to be a habit." Derek stepped into the doorway, before the vet, Dr. Deaton, looked up. When he saw Derek, he asked, "Can I help you?"

"I hope so," Derek answered. "I want to know about the animal you found with the spiral on it's side?"

Dr. Deaton looked confused. "Excuse me? What animal?"

"Three months ago. The deer." He pulled out the piece of paper he found on the windshield of his car. "You remember this?"

The vet nodded. "Oh, yes. It's just a deer. And I didn't find it. They called me because they wanted to know if I'd ever seen anything like it."

"What'd you tell them?"

"I told them no."

Derek nodded, stepping into the room. "Did you hear that?"

The vet stepped back as Derek walked closer. "Hear what?"

"The sound of your heartbeat rising."

"Excuse me?"

"It's the sound of you lying." Having run out of patience, Derek knocked Dr. Deaton out and put him in a chair, tying his hands tightly behind his back with gauze. Then he sat back and waited for the vet to come round. When he finally did, Derek continued. "Are you protecting someone?"

"Alright. The key to the drug locker is in my pocket."

"I don't want drugs. I want to know why you're lying," Derek growled.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Derek spun the chair around and lifted it off the ground.

"What are you doing to me? What do you want?"

"I want to know who you are or who you're protecting."

"What are you doing?!" Scott's voice suddenly rang out.

"Scott, get out of here!" Dr. Deaton yelled.

Derek dropped the chair back onto the ground and knocked the vet out.

"Stop!" Scott yelled. "Stop!"

"Look, when he's conscious, he can keep himself from healing, but unconscious, he can't."

"Are you out of your mind? What are you talking about?"

"You want to know what the spiral means, Scott? It's our sign for a vendetta, for revenge. It means he won't stop killing until he's satisfied!"

"You think he's the Alpha?"

"We're about to find out." Derek was about to scratch the vet with his claws before Scott caught his arm and stopped him with a growl, fully transformed. He pushed Derek's arm away, before changing back into his teenage look.

"Hit him again, and then you'll see me get angry."

Derek nodded and stepped away as Scott set about getting first aid supplies to clean the vet's cuts.

As he was doing so, Derek approached him. "Do you have a plan."

"Just give me an hour."

"Then what?"

"Meet me at the school. In the parking lot."

Derek didn't look too happy, but he nodded and left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An hour later, he arrived at the school where Scott and Stiles were standing beside Stiles's jeep. Stiles had a pair of bolt cutters in his hands.

Derek parked and got out.

"Where's my boss?" Scott asked.

"He's in the back," Derek answered.

Scott and Stiles looked in to see the vet tied up with duct tape over his mouth.

"Oh, he looks comfortable," Stiles commented, looking at Derek before he and Scott turned and started walking towards the school.

"Wait. Hey, what are you doing?" Derek called.

"You said I was linked with the Alpha," Scott replied. "I'm gonna see if you're right."

Derek watched as the two teenagers walked into the school.

A few minutes later, he heard the most pathetic howl through the school speakers and closed his eyes in irritation. "You have got to be kidding me."

30 seconds later, he heard a loud wolf-like howl through the speakers and Derek looked around to see if it had grabbed any attention. He knew nobody else was at the school, but he didn't know if there was anyone nearby.

A further 30 seconds later, the two teenagers ran out of the building and over to the two cars.

"I'm gonna kill both of you," Derek told them. "What the hell was that? What are you trying to do, attract the whole state to the school?"

"Sorry, I didn't know it would be that loud," Scott said.

"Yeah, it was loud. And it was awesome!" Stiles joined in.

Derek glared at him. "Shut up."

"Don't be such a sour-wolf," Stiles replied.

"What'd you do with him?" Scott asked, suddenly.

"What?" Derek turned to look in his car, but it was empty. "I didn't do anything," he said, turning to look back at the pair.

Suddenly, with no warning at all, Derek was lifted into the air as blood came out of his mouth before he was thrown through the air. He hit the side of the school and fell to the ground, completely still.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fioonuala had just finished her homework and was putting it away when she heard the howl. She dropped what she was doing and ran into Stiles's room. It was empty.

She unlocked her phone and pulled up the My Location app to figure out where he was. There! Why was he at the school?

"No time for questions, Fi," she told herself, grabbing her coat and shoes before running out the door. "Ask away when you get there. Not before."

Considering the fact that she did not live relatively close to Beacon Hills High School, she got there pretty fast. She got there in time to see a large creature lift Derek into the air and throw him through the air where he hit the wall of the school and fell to the ground as Scott and Stiles ran inside. She waited until the creature ran away, before she ran over to Derek's body.

"Derek?" she whispered.

Leave you at a cliffhanger. *cue dramatic piano* And, for those who are unaware, I'm following the plot of the tv show, thus resulting in a lot of quotes from the show itself. Those of you who have seen the show know that the majority of this chapter was taken from the show itself. Those of you who haven't, well, there's some of the show.