Chapter 6

The next morning, Fionnuala woke up and stretched. She smiled, looking forward to spending a few hours with Derek after school. She quickly sent him a 'Good Morning' text before getting up.

Sheriff Stilinski smiled at her when he came downstairs and found her up and preparing breakfast for herself.

"Hey, sweetie."

"Hey, Dad. Is Stiles still asleep?"

"Nope. He's awake."

"Stiles? Up early on a school day? This is new. Maybe he is going to watch his grades this semester."

"Oh no. He's not in his room. He's been out all night."

The young sixteen-year-old sighed and shook her head. "Am I allowed to know why?"

"The most recent case we're working on. He called me earlier to let me know that he's found a new clue or something. By the way, thank you for saving me some dinner last night. Is there any way we don't have to eat leftovers again tonight?"

"As I told Stiles, Dad, the day you cook dinner will be the day that we won't eat leftovers for dinner. Until then, that's what we're eating. They're still perfectly fine!"

"Alright. See you later, sweetie." He gave her a kiss on the forehead before leaving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upon arriving at school, she entered and saw a group of students talking to each other.

"So you know the case that the police have been working on?"

"The one with the body?"

"Yeah. A couple nights ago, they found one half. Last night, Scott and Stiles found the other half!"

"No way! Do they have a suspect?"

"They do. The other half was buried on the Hale property. So they arrested Derek Hale."

"Good. He's creepy."

"You know," Fionnuala spoke up, "just because someone's creepy doesn't mean that they deserve to be arrested."

"They do if they're creepy in a bad way. Besides, it was buried on his property. All evidence point to him as the killer."

"Or maybe somebody planted the body there to make it look like Derek was the killer," she stated, crossing her arms.

"Who are you anyway?" a boy from the group asked.

"Stiles' twin sister. I may not poke into my dad's work like he does, but I know the right questions to ask." Fionnuala turned to Lydia who had walked inside with her. "Lydia, could you take notes for me? I should be back before first period is over."

"Sure."

"Thank you so much!" With that, Fionnuala left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Tara!"

A deputy sheriff turned around when she heard her name.

"Fi, what are you doing here?"

"Is what I heard true?"

"What do you mean?"

"I go into school this morning and find out Derek's been arrested for murder?"

"Yes. Half of a body which is part of a case we're working at the moment was buried on the Hale property."

"Derek isn't a murderer!"

"Honey, I know that's what you want to believe. But the body we found is of a young girl. Maybe you should stop seeing him for right now."

"Why would I do that?"

"Because that could've been you. And I think your dad deserves to know now."

"Tara, I trust you with this secret. And me breaking up with Derek is literally telling him that I think he's a murderer. I know he isn't."

"Fi-"

"Let me see him, Tara."

"I don't think that's a good idea."

"Tara. I need to see him."

"Alright. Hurry up."

Fionnuala hurried back to where the holding cells were.

"Derek?"

"Isolde? What are you doing here?"

"Seeing you. I heard what happened at school."

"And you've come to ask me if it's true?"

"No. I've come to ask you if you're okay. Because I know that it's not true. You're not a murderer."

"Yeah, well. That's not what anyone else thinks. Stiles was the one who called in about the body."

"That's why he wasn't at home this morning. He was out all night."

"I don't want you to fail any of your classes," Derek said, with a slight smile at her. "Go back to school. Hopefully I'll be out before three."

She smiled back before leaving.

"One more thing, Tara," she said, before leaving the station. "Did you ever think that maybe the body was planted on the Hale property to make it look like Derek was the murderer?" Then she left.

A few minutes later, Sheriff Stilinski walked in.

"Sheriff, can I quickly ask you something?"

"Sure thing."

"Your daughter was in here a little while ago. Apparently kids at her school are talking about what's been happening and she overheard a little. She came asking questions."

"What sort of questions?"

"Well, one really stuck out to me and she asked it before she left: What if the body was planted on the Hale property to make it look like Derek was the murderer?"

Sheriff Stilinski furrowed his eyebrows. "She makes a good point. I hadn't even thought of that. Stiles and Scott found the other half of the body on the Hale property. And I just assumed that he was the murderer. She could be right." He looked at her. "Get a polygraph test ready. We'll see if Mr. Hale will be willing to give us the true story."