Chapter 4

"How's your uncle doing?" Fionnuala asked, softly a while later.

Derek sighed. "Same as usual," he answered in the same tone. "Not worse, but not any better either."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

He smiled at her. "That's okay. I still have you."

"Yes, but I can't be here all day."

"I know. And I also know that I have to bring you to study group in a few minutes."

"We can talk tonight before I go to bed," she told him.

"Yes, and risk your brother or dad finding out about us. No, I can wait until three tomorrow."

"Alright, handsome. We'd better get going if I'm going to make it to group study on time."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About 15 minutes later, Fionnuala said goodbye to her boyfriend before exiting the car and going to knock on Lydia's door. Her mom answered the door.

"Fionnuala, hi there!"

"Hello, Mrs. Martin."

"Lydia is up in her room. You know where it is. Can I get you something to drink?"

"Has Lydia changed the rule about no drinks in her room?"

"Actually, yes."

"I'll just take a water then, please."

"Alright. Ice?"

"Yes, please. Just a little, though."

"Alright. There you go, sweetie."

"Thank you." Fionnuala smiled and headed upstairs to Lydia's room where she knocked on the door.

Lydia opened the door and smiled. "Fi! Glad you could make it!"

"What, did you think I was gonna bail? I told you last night I'd be here."

"Very true. Well, we have another person who will be joining us this semester!"

"Really?" Fionnuala stepped into the room and smiled at the new arrival. "Hi. Aren't you the new student?"

The girl nodded. "My name's Allison."

"Nice to meet you. My name is Fionnuala. I go by Fi by pretty much everyone except my dad who calls me Fion."

"Including the school faculty?"

"Yeah. My name's a mouthful."

"Alright! Now that you two are acquainted, let's talk about study group schedules," Lydia interrupted. "Remember, Fi?"

"Yeah. We set up the study group on the days that everyone is available."

"Exactly!"

"Oh, did you guys do this last semester?"

"No. We did it over the summer. I went to summer school to complete freshman year, so I could be a sophomore this year. Let me just say, my brother is not happy."

"Oh, that's neat."

"Yeah, Lydia helped me study over the summer."

"Alright. Fi, what days are good for you?"

"Any of them."

"Alright. Allison, what about you?"

"I can do Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays."

"Alright. Study group is scheduled for after school on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. What time do we want to meet?"

"Five is okay with me," Allison said. "As long as I'm home in time for dinner."

"Fi? What about you?"

"Five works for me. But if we need to meet earlier, just let me know."

"Alright. The first day of school is setting up study group schedules. So see you guys tomorrow!"

Fionnuala pulled out her phone and sent a quick text to Derek.

Fi: Study group was quick tonight. Come pick me up?

❤️: Sure thing. Be there in a few minutes.

"Do you need a ride home?" Lydia asked.

Fionnuala shook her head. "No, I have one already. Thank you."

"No problem. See you tomorrow."

❤️: I'm here. Sitting at the end of the driveway.

Fi: I'm coming. That was quick.

❤️: Turns out I wasn't as far away as I thought.

Fionnuala hurried downstairs with her bag and empty cup, placing it on the counter. "Thank you for the water, Mrs. Martin! See you later!"

"Goodbye!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Derek smiled as she got in.

"You rushed through that."

"It was just setting up group scheduling. First day of school rules."

"Is it every day?"

"No. There's a new girl at school and she's part of the study group now. Study group is on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays unless said otherwise."

"Fantastic. Where do you wish to go, m'lady?"

"I think it's best if you brought me home. My dad will be expecting me home."

"Alright. Drop you off at the end of the street?"

"Yes. Unless you want to meet the sheriff of Beacon Hills?"

"No thanks."

"That's what I thought." She smiled. "But we'll be able to do this tomorrow."

"That's right. I look forward to tomorrow." He stopped at the end of her street and gave her a quick kiss. "Goodnight, princess."

"Goodnight, handsome." She got out and started walking down the street to her house. When she reached the end of her driveway, she turned and blew him a kiss before he drove away.