Chapter 7

Derek looked up from where he was sitting as the sheriff walked in.

"Mr. Hale, I was wondering if we could ask you some questions."

"Sure. Seems fair after you just threw me into a holding cell without talking to me earlier."

"Are you alright with taking a polygraph test?"

"Yes."

"Excellent." Sheriff Stilinski opened the cell door. "Can I trust you to follow me to a room without trying to escape or being violent?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good. Follow me, please."

Derek followed the sheriff to an interrogation room where the polygraph test was set up and waiting.

They attached sensors to his fingers, chest and abdomen before wrapping a blood pressure cuff around his arm.

"State your name, please."

"Derek Hale."

Sheriff Stilinski looked at the polygrapher Abby, who nodded.

"Alright, Mr. Hale. Are you aware that we have been investigating a case in which we have found two halves of a body and one of those halves was buried on your property?"

"I was semi-aware of the case, but I was not aware that one of the halves was buried on my property until I was accused of murder this morning."

"He's telling the truth," Abby confirmed.

"So you did not kill this girl?"

"No, I did not."

"Do you know who this girl is?"

"Sheriff, I can't confirm that I know who it is because I didn't murder her and I didn't bury her body on my property. Unless you know her name or have a picture of her, I can't help you."

The sheriff looked at Abby who nodded. "He's telling the truth."

"We don't have either. Coroner's still working." Sheriff Stilinski sighed. "I may need you to come in again when we do have a name."

"Does this mean I'm free to leave?"

"Yes. Thanks, Abby, for helping."

"No problem." The polygrapher smiled, taking the test equipment out of the room.

Derek stood up and nodded to the sheriff before leaving.