Hiding from the Truth

It was several days later. Elia found herself at a familiar white wall. "What business do you have in Gondor?" a guard demanded.

"I am here to gather supplies," she replied, "I have travelled a long way and I am running dangerously low."

The guards looked at each other and she showed him the money she had with her. The guards opened the door, letting her enter.

Elia left Belegroc with the stable boys, after giving them their payment she made her way through the city. Everything looked the same, it had been a good ten years since she stepped foot inside of Gondor's walls. "Is this possible?" a voice said from behind. She turned and she saw the same man as before, now he was older, no longer a teenager like she remembered. "Lady Elia," Boromir said, nodding his head to her.

"Lord Boromir, it is a pleasure to see you again," she said.

"It has been a long while, are you just here to buy some supplies again?" he asked.

"A fair few," she replied.

"My offer for you to stay is still available to you," he said. The woman smiled lightly at the younger man. "I am sure you would rather sleep in a bed than on the ground, especifically since it will be a colder night," he said.

"Gondor gets pretty cold?" she asked.

"Very cold," he replied.

It was then Elia realized they were walking through the streets. "At the risk of being too bold, Lady Elia, you have not aged a day since we first met," he said.

"I must come from a good bloodline then," she quipped, and he chuckled lightly.

"Clearly," he replied. Elia laughed a little. "How have you been enjoying your journey?" he asked.

"It has been...eventful," she replied, trying not to think about the last ten years she spent in Mirkwood, "I am surprised you remember me...it was only a brief meeting a long time ago."

"It was enough that I hoped you would return," Boromir replied. They made their way up towards the castle. "I will have the stable boys bring your horse to our stables."

"I do not wish to impose on your home and your family," she said.

"My family?" he asked, "It is just my father, brother, and me."

"I see, your father is the Steward correct?" she asked.

"He is, and then it will be me...hopefully not for some time," he replied. Suddenly, everything shook under their feet. Elia let out a gasp when she started to lose her footing and braced herself against the wall. Suddenly, she felt a hand grab her arm and pull her aside just as a vase from a balcony fell and would've landed right on her head. "Are you alright?" he asked.

"I am," she replied, looking at the now broken vase, "Thank you."

"Mordor's powers have been increasing, we lost Osgiliath to an army of their orcs years ago. My brother and I have been working to reclaim it," Boromir said as he helped her move around the fallen debris.

Elia mulled over his words as they reached the top of Minas Tirith. The grounds were beautiful with neatly trimmed grass, a water fountain, and a large, beautiful white tree. She remembered her mother mentioning about a white tree, and it was part of Gondor's sigil. The famous white tree that Isildur stole when he became King. "Beautiful, is it not?" Boromir asked, pulling her out of her thoughts.

"I have heard stories about the White Tree of Gondor...but seeing it in person, none of the stories do it justice," she said.

"It hasn't bloomed in many years, but it still holds what hope our people carry," Boromir said.

Elia reached up to touch a branch when the doors to the castle opened. She turned and looked as two men exited the castle. "Boromir, we were wondering where you had wandered off to," the younger man said as they approached them.

"Do not speak for me, boy," the older man said firmly.

"I am sorry, Father," the younger man said, his eyes aimed toward the ground.

Boromir frowned but then squared his shoulders. "I am sorry for my absence, Father, I was greeting an old friend," he said. He gestured to Elia. "This is Elia, we had met years ago when she visited us for some supplies. Elia, this is my father, Denethor, Steward of Gondor. The man beside him is my brother, Faramir."

Elia bowed her head in respect. "My lords," she said, "It is an honor."

"The honor is ours, it is not often my son brings a maiden to our part of Minas Tirith," Denethor said. Elia smiled a little.

"I had invited her to stay with us as long as she wishes," Boromir said.

"Quite an invitation for an acquaintance," Denethor said, "For you, Boromir, I can make exceptions. I will be sure that she will have accommodations prepared for her stay."

"Thank you, my lord," she said.

Denethor held out his hand to her. Elia reached out, but when she touched is hand she felt nothing but chills go down her spine. She put on her best smile and she was led inside with Boromir and Faramir following behind them.

That night, Elia prepared for bed and looked out to see the dark clouds that covered the mountains. She could see the oranges and reds from Mount Doom's fires. She was very close to the enemy, too close for comfort. Even though she stared at enemy territory, it didn't distract her from the aching pain in her chest. She sat on the end of her bed as the tears welled up in her eyes.

The enemy could not distract her from the pain she caused herself and Legolas. It was a pain she would carry with her for the rest of her mortal life. Even if she could go back, would Legolas still want her after leaving him like she had?

On the other side of Middle Earth, in Rivendell, Aragorn prepared to turn in for the night after spending another evening with Arwen. As he made his way to his side of the beautiful elvish city, he suddenly heard the sounds of a horse approaching. He turned and he saw a white horse ride through the archway entering Rivendell. There was a hooded rider. "I bertha minna Imladris na hen oreth?" Elrond demanded as he descended the stairs.

The rider jumped off their horse and removed their hood, revealing Legolas. "Díheno nin an en toled, Dor Elrond. Im cesta an gwen ennen Elia," Legolas said. (Forgive me for my intrusion, Lord Elrond. I search for a maiden named Elia.)

Aragorn approached the elf. "What business do you have with her?" he asked. Legolas was surprised to see him.

"You have returned to Rivendell?" Legolas asked.

"Why are you searching for Elia?" Aragorn asked, not allowing him to change the subject.

Legolas kept his shoulders squared. "It is a very long story, mellon. Do you know her?" he asked.

"She is my sister, I would like to believe I know her very well," Aragorn replied.

"She is here?" Legolas asked, hopeful.

"Lady Elia has not set foot in Rivendell in nearly two decades," Elrond replied.

Legolas frowned, he hoped that when she left Mirkwood she would return to Rivendell. When Aragorn saw the hope leave the elven prince's eyes, he learned all that he needed to know. "Come, you had a long journey," Aragorn said, turning towards Elrond. Elrond nodded and he took his leave as the man led his friend up the stairs.

"I was not aware you were the brother she would talk about. She would call you by "Estel," Legolas said.

"Estel was the name Elrond gave me when I was brought here," Aragorn replied, "It is a name my sister prefers to call me in private."

Legolas nodded as they walked through the halls. "She is not here," he said.

"No, she is not," Aragorn said. Legolas silently cursed, he cursed his father and everyone who made Elia doubt their love. He would find her and he would keep his pledge that he would love her forever and always. He could only hope that she would still love him just as deeply in return.