War

Wait...why does this look like this has been posted before? It's because it was. I posted this chapter too soon.

Reluctantly, Elia sat in the throne room with Denethor watching Pippin make his vows to the Steward. The room was silent, Elia watched as Denethor sat at the table and criticized Faramir for "allowing" the orcs to take over Osgiliath. "Elia, sit, eat," Denethor ordered.

"I am not very hungry, my lord," she answered.

"Nonsense, you must keep up your strength as you carry the next line of Steward," Denethor said.

Elia's stomach twisted. "My lord..." she started to say.

"And is there not a captain that will do his lord's will?" Denethor asked Faramir.

The room was silent again. "You wish now that we exchange places. That I had died and Boromir lived," Faramir said.

"Yes, I wish that," Denethor said.

Elia felt tears well up in her eyes. "Since you have been robbed of Boromir. I will serve in his stead," Faramir said, his voice showing a hint of pain. He made his way towards the door. "If I am to return, think better of me, Father," Faramir said.

"That would depend on how you would return," Denethor said coldly. Elia stood up from her seat. "Sit," Denethor ordered.

"I am not your wife, nor your child. You will not speak to me in such a matter," she answered, "Boromir would be ashamed of you." Denethor shot her a glare. "I am not Boromir's wife, nor have I ever been. My husband rides with my brother, Aragorn. The Ranger of the North you despise and will never bend a knee to is my brother. I am Elia, daughter of Arathorn. I am the Princess of Gondor by blood, and Princess of Mirkwood by marriage."

"Mirkwood?" Denethor said coldly.

"Yes, Mirkwood. Legolas, son of Thranduil, is my husband," she said.

"You are an elf's whore," Denethor said.

"To be a whore means I am paid for my services, and I do not service him, nor does he service me," she answered.

Elia made her way towards the door. "You betrayed Boromir!" Denethor snapped.

She stopped and looked back. "I did no such thing. I warned you almost seventeen years ago, MY LORD. My heart belonged to another and I promised Boromir nothing. You gave him empty promises with your delusions and claiming them as visions," she answered, "You told Boromir I would bear him a child, and you have convinced yourself that I am carrying a child. I am barren and I am unable to carry life in me. If anyone in this room betrayed Boromir, it was you."

"If you despise us so then why are you here?" Denethor demanded.

"I despise you, but you still have one son I care for as a brother and you just sent him to his death," she said and left the room.

Denethor watched her leave.

Later, Elia heard the gates open and went to see what the commotion was. She gasped when she saw Faramir's horse dragging an unconscious Faramir behind it. "No!" She gasped. She rushed to his side and checked for any sign of life.

"We must get him to the Steward," one of the men said.

"No! He must go to the Houses of Healing," Elia answered.

They ignored her and loaded the man onto a stretcher. "Send word to the Steward," the man said. Elia had no choice but to practically chase them up the stairs.