Moria

The road to Moria took a few days, but at least they wre no longer in the freezing mountains. There was a slight chill to the air, Elia reached for her cloak to wrap it around herself. She let out a deep breath as she was mindful of the stones that covered the pathway. It was odd, if this was the way to dwarf-filled mines, why did it look like the road has not been traveled on in weeks? "The walls of Moria!" Gimli said in awe when they reached the mountain walls.

Elia looked over at the lake as they walked by it. "Dwarf doors are not visible when closed," Gimli said as he knocked on the wall with his axe.

"Yes, Gimli, their own masters would be unable to find them if their secrets are forgotten," Gandalf said.

"Why doesn't that surprise me?" Legolas asked.

Elia gave her husband a look and a nudge. "Lenga," she scolded him. (Behave.)

"Naugrim na melch nothlir," he said. (Dwarves are greedy folk.)

"Násë min nan men. Tauriel anha dín an cadhad," she said. (He is one of us. Tauriel gave her heart to a dwarf.) Legolas was silent and Elia looked at him with a raised brow. "Im nosta tîf," she said. (I sense bitterness.)

"Allu. Han nî al mela. Ero bŷl," he said. (Never. That was not love. Only favor.) Elia was aware about the feelings Legolas once held for his Captain. "My father didn't approve anyways," he added.

"Yes, because your father loves every decision you make," she quipped.

He chuckled lightly. "This is true, but there is one decision I made that I will never regret," he said, making her smile.

They were pulled out of their conversation when they stopped by a big part of the mountain wall. "Let's see...Ithilden...it mirrors only starlight and moonlight," Gandalf said. They looked up as the clouds moved away from the moon and the outlines of a closed door appeared before them. Elia's eyes were wide. It was so beautiful! "It reads "Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak friend and enter," Gandalf said.

"What do you suppose that means?" Merry asked.

"It's quite simple, if you are a friend you speak the password and the doors will open," Gandalf replied. The wizard held his staff up to the door and said an incantation. Only, nothing happened.

Legolas looked down at Pippin who stood beside him. "Nothing's happening," Pippin said.

Gandalf tried to push up against the wall, but nothing happened still. "I used to know all the spells in the tongues elves, men, and orcs," he muttered.

"What are you going to do then?" Pippin asked.

"Knock your head against these walls, Peregrin Took! If that does not shatter them then I will be at peace with foolish questions!" Gandalf snapped at the hobbit. Then he calmed himself again. "I will try to find the opening words," he said.

Pippin looked at the ground and Elia wrapped her arm around the hobbit's shoulders. "He means well," Elia reminded him gently, "Frustration brings out the worst in us sometimes." Pippin nodded his head slowly. She didn't know much about hobbits, but from what she learned so far was out of the four halflings, Pippin was the youngest. So in their eyes, he was truly just a child wrapped up in this big adventure.

She took a seat on a rock and Pippin walked over to her. "What is it like being married to an elf?" Pippin asked.

"Are you interested in romance stories, young hobbit?" she quipped.

Pippin shrugged his shoulders. "I am bored," he replied. She chuckled lightly.

"It is like any other marriage, just because I am mortal and he is not, it does not make any difference," she replied.