Short-Lived Victory

They made their way towards Isengard to capture Saruman. When they rode around the corner through the forest, Elia saw two familiar hobbits sitting on a wall. "Welcome, my lords and my lady, to Isengard!" Merry said happily.

"Lady Elia!" Pippin said happily.

"Pippin!" Elia answered as the hobbit rushed over to greet her.

Elia got down from her horse and embraced him. "We're under orders from Treebeard, who has taken over management of Isengard," Merry informed him. Elia helped Pippin up onto her horse before getting back on.

Treebeard greeted them and gave them the update about Saruman being trapped in his tower. "Show yourself, coward," Aragorn muttered.

"Careful, even defeated Saruman is still very dangerous," Gandalf said.

"Well, let us just have his head and be done with it," Gimli insisted.

"No, we need him alive. We need him to talk," Gandalf answered.

They were silent, Elia held onto her horse's reins looking around. "You have fought many wars and killed many men, Theoden King, and made peace afterwards. Can we not take counsel together as we once did, my old friend?" Saruman called out from on top of his tower, "Can we not have peace, you and I?"

"We shall have peace. We shall have peace when you answer for the burning of the Westfold and the children that lie dead there! We shall have peace when the lives of the soldiers whose bodies were hewn even as they lay dead against the gates of the Hornburg are avenged! Whe you hang from a gibbet for the sport of your own crows we shall have peace," Theoden answered.

"Gibbets and crows? Dotard! What do you want, Gandalf Greyhame? Let me guess. The Key of Orthanc. Or perhaps the Keys of Barad-dur itself, along with the crowns of the seven kings and the rods of the Five Wizards!" Saruman snapped.

"Your treachery has already cost many lives. Thousands more are now at risk. But you could save them, Saruman. You were deep in the enemy's counsel," Gandalf said.

"So, you have come here for information," Saruman said, "I have some for you."

Elia's eyes grew wide when Sarumn held up a Palantir. "A seeing stone," she hissed quietly. The evil wizard smirked at the woman.

"Something festers in the heart of Middle-Earth, something you have failed to see. But the Great Eye has seen it. Even now he presses his advantage. His attack will come soon. You are all going to die," Sarumn said.

"I think not," Elia replied, "Your words carry no levy to them. Only to stir fear in us."

Saruman stared at the woman for a second then looked at Gandalf. "You do not think that this Ranger or even his elvish whore of a sister will ever sit upon the throne of Gondor," Saruman said. Elia glared at him. "This exile, crept from the shadows, will never be crowned king. This woman, who cannot even bear any fruit for any bloodline will never be anything more than what she is now," Saruman said. Elia reached for her bow, but Aragorn reached out and grabbed her wrist. "Gandalf does not hesitate those closest to him. Those he professes to love. Tell me, what words of comfort did you give the halfling before you sent him to his doom? The path that you have set him on can only lead to death," Saruman said.

"I have heard enough!" Gimli snapped, "Shoot him. Stick an arrow in his gob."

After hearing what Saruman said about his brother-in-law and his wife, Legolas was more than happy to reach for his own bow. "No," Gandalf said, "Come down, Saruman and your life will be spared."

"Save your pity and your mercy! I have no use for it!" Saruman snapped. Saruman aimed a ball of fire at Gandalf, who formed a shield and blocked it. Elia covered her eyes and Pippin's from the heat. The evil wizard looked on in disbelief as the fire disappeared.