three

WHEN HYEJIN LEFT DAEHO FORTRESS with Seo Yul, Sang Ho was beyond heartbroken. He regret many things that happened three years ago, but the one thing he regret the most was the fact that the last thing that happened before she left was them arguing. The look on her face when he left her that night haunts him even in his sleep.

It was the look of betrayal, disappointment, sadness, and anger. All he wanted to do when he left the secret room was run back to her, and apologize. He wanted to fix everything, he wanted to be the one to hug her and comfort her. But Seo Yul already did that for him.

That's right, that night before Jang Uk's body was burnt in front of everyone, he came back to the secret room. Not even the leader knew it. He came back for her, he completely lost his mind that night. He wanted to run away with her, to escape to a different fortress and never look back. He knew how mad the royal family was when they heard about Hyejin's plan. And he wanted to protect her by taking her away from Daeho. 

But Seo Yul did that for him once again by taking her to Seoho fortress. And when she left, she unknowingly took his heart with her. And when he saw her again, it so happened that he saw her with Yul. It was then when he realized that Seoho fortress would be the safest place for her, the fortress that was away from the royal family, and away from the dangers of Daeho.

And he left, without looking back. Seo Yul would keep her safe, it was the only thought that was on his head as he walked away from her once again.

And right now, there she was, standing in front of him after three years. She was so close, yet so far. Sang Ho couldn't help but notice the changes with her, starting from the way she looks, to the way she carry herself, to the way she emits coldness instead of the warmth she emits in the past, and to the way she was looking at him.

The only thing that brought him back to reality was when the acting leader, Park Dang-gu, made his way towards Young Lady Jin. Sang Ho bowed to her as a greeting before looking up, and as if on instinct, his eyes landed on Hyejin. "I heard you were the acting leader. So you are attending the Unanimous Assembly as well." Choyeon said.

"I did not know you would be here." Dang-gu responded, "I heard that your sister was found and she will be introduced as the heir."

Sang Ho tuned them out after that, he decided to turn his complete focus towards Hyejin. Though he wanted to look at anything else but her, he just can't help it. When he heard of her arrival, he didn't know what to feel. A part of him was happy that he could finally see her again, but then the other part of him knew that Hyejin could still be mad at him.

And she really is, how was he supposed to make up with her? How would he even start? Would she even listen? Perhaps not. After all, he didn't just broke his promise, he broke her heart too. 

Hyejin on the other hand, was having an internal battle with her own self. How could he stare at her with no emotion in his face, it was as if her presence has no effect on him. It was unfair, even though three years have passed, he still have that same fucking effect on her and she hated it. But to him, it looks like she was nothing.

Fucking asshole, She cursed in her head before looking away from him with annoyance written all over her face. She was about to talk to Dang-gu when several guards from Cheonbugwan arrived and ran inside. 

Judging by the way those were the elite guards of Cheonbugwan, something must've gone wrong. And Hyejin guessed that something was his brother. "Something must've happened at the unanimous assembly." Sang Ho guessed, earning a panicked look from both Choyeon, and Dang-gu, while Hyejin remained stoic. She knew it was Uk and she doesn't know what to feel from it.

Hyejin sighed, "Dang-gu, we should head inside and see what was the ruckus all about." She suggested, and the acting leader nodded his head in agreement.