┃03┃

The birds chucked themselves with the crumbs before excitingly chirping and jumping on the ground

All of them were white in color and their sizes were too small, appealing to one's eye.

Alas, they couldn't fly.

Fei outstretched her palms toward the birds with a smile on her face and her giggle sounded when she felt their small beaks poking on her skin as they ate the crumbs from her hand.

"Hungry?" She asked, her voice laced with love and care. "Eat all you want." The way she was crouched down and the way she was offering the birds her kind loving smile made her look harmless in the eyes of them, so instead of eating from the ground they started to get swarmed around her hand, chirping in content as they ate from her hand.

Only a few of them on the ground were obediently trotting here and there to have their fill too.

Fei was in the backyard of the manor, although there wasn't much to see in this place, it still held a peaceful greenery environment that she preferred so after asking the head maid, she made it a place to keep her birds.

Now they were free and could live the world outside the cages and gradually as the days passed by, the backyard became Fei's only favorite place in the whole manor, the only place where she could roam freely without fearing the outcome of being seen by others.

The place wasn't too big but she was content with that. At least she could gaze at the open sky instead of peeking from her window sill.

She had even planted some of her favourite plants in the corner of the field beside the small pond.

Too focused on her pet birds, she didn't hear the approaching sound of footsteps.

"Mistress," the head maid called out, earning her attention smoothly.

"Maid Bao," Fei greeted her before giving a helpless smile because she couldn't stand as her hand was busy serving the birds.

"Is there something wrong?" Seeing the conflict look on the head maid's face, she asked in concern.

The older woman's brows furrowed. "There is something you must see."

"Huh?"

...

It wasn't just something, in fact it almost seemed as though he'd bought the whole city for her. Jewels, silk clothes and a lot of things she couldn't even imagine that he'd send for her.

Huh?

Her confused eyes fell on the maids for answers but they were too awestruck to give a meaningful response.

What did.. he mean by this?
The only thought in her mind as well as others.

Fei slowly touched a velvety red jewel case which was placed neatly above the table, this piece caught her eyes because it was separated from the other jewelleries.