┃44┃

"I want to give birth to our child, husband."

Yang's body went rigid when those words left her mouth and his mind completely shut off when he heard the sound of her heart wrenching sobs.

"Am..am I infertile?" She sobbed.

Her words come out in desperate hiccups. The thought of not fulfilling the biggest role of her life came as a shameful realization to her and she was unable to take it any longer. "Is this why I'm unable to.. to get pregnant?"

Snapping out of his trance, Yang slowly looked up and didn't think twice before scolding her for her silliness.

"What silly question is that?!"

Fei refused to meet his eyes because of shame and she shook her head in a response.

It wasn't a silly question.

What is the use of her being a woman when she was unable to conceive and fulfill the role of producing an heir to this family?

Yang's eyebrows twisted in a serious frown and he clenched his jaw before speaking to her in a stern voice. "Stop spouting gibberish or I'll make you regret it."

"I-I.. Am I infertile, husband?" She refused to listen to his warning and continued to ask, wanting to confirm her self- deprecating doubts.

"No, you're not!" Yang spat in frustration and muttered a cuss under his breath. How does she even manage to come up with such unpredictable assumptions?

"T-Then why?" Fei palmed her face and cried even more woefully whilst mumbling out the facts. "Why.. is there no baby in my womb?"

They had made love so many times, to the extent that she'd lost count. "It must be because I've a.. weak..weak-" She was unable to complete her sentence as her body shook with each crying hiccup.

The man combed his hair back and leaned a little back to stare at her with a dead serious gaze. He was wrong thinking that she'd forget the words of the old lady from that day.

He should've been more careful while dealing with her emotional self. Watching her emotional breakdown, Yang naturally blamed himself for this situation.

"Having a weak womb doesn't mean one cannot conceive, wife." He tried coaxing her calmly this time.

"T-Then why?" Fei removed her face from her palms and stared at the man with red puffy eyes.

"It's because I don't wish to impregnate you this soon." Yang admitted while gazing at her with a helpless frown.

"Why?" Eyes widening in disbelief, she looked up at him with her petal-like lips parted. Why wouldn't he want that?

"You're too young for this, my dear." His eyes softened while watching her puffed up cheeks and he cupped her face before wiping her tears as he continued to coax her gently. "You need a lot of nourishment to be able to give birth."

After knowing that there were chances of harm occurring to her weak body, Yang naturally had to hold back from impregnating her.

He didn't want to take any risk concerning his wife's well being, so the man after that day of temple visit, restrained himself from coming inside her, knowing all too well that his wife really had no clue about such basic information.