┃25┃

She was dressed in red like a bride. There was a smile on her face which couldn't hide the joy she was feeling inside.

The door to the room opened and her husband came inside, dressed in a white and beige traditional wear with a black robe outside.

This dress look highlighted his majestic looks and unattainable aura, screaming power and nobleness of his dignified bloodline.

The maids left in a hurry, leaving them alone.

Fei didn't lift her eyes as she was feeling too shy to look at him, being dressed like a bride as if it was their wedding day.

Yang was in awe and didn't come back to his senses for a while as he stared at her with fascination in his deep set of eyes.

None of them uttered a word for a long time before Yang decided to approach her seated form with slow footsteps.

Her heart hammered against her chest when he lifted up her chin with his index finger. "Do you know how beautiful you're?" He asked, looking at her obsessively.

Her eyes fluttered and she slowly lifted up her gaze to meet his eyes.

"You're so beautiful that I'm afraid; people out there would want to snatch you away from me-"

Fei placed her hand on his lips, not letting him speak further and shook her head lightly. "Nobody can."

Even if they do succeed, she'll kill herself before they could taint her body which belonged solely to her husband. She'll die being his forever, heaven or earth.

She'll only be his in this life and after life - anywhere, where their souls could reunite. In her heart, she knew that she wanted to be his forever.

"And I know my husband can protect me well," She didn't forget praising him. Even if he was the first man she had met in her life, Fei did realize that he'd something which others didn't and that made her feel protected and safe in his arms.

"You're so beautiful, my Fei." Yang called her name and caressed her face with love and said,"I won't let anybody lay their eyes on you. And if they did, I'll gouge their eyes out." -Or perhaps even kill them.

Fei felt sweet when he called her name but hearing his next eerily spoken words was terrifying to her kind soul.

They weren't just words, he meant it. An unsettled feeling crept inside her head. She wouldn't want anybody getting harmed because of her.

If only she knew..how her beautiful existence will cause the generation of this household the misery and pain in the future.

She was a curse, a beautiful curse that will leave Yang, a powerful man, in a whirlwind of misery till the day he dies.

Seeing that obvious nervousness in her eyes, Yang hugged her. What he said was true and he meant it.

Pulling back, he picked up the red veil from the dressing and placed it above her head, hiding her beautiful face fully.

"For now, you'd have to veil yourself, darling."

Fei nodded, much more relaxed after her nervous fit. Yang bowed and kissed her veiled forehead.

...

All the maids bid her outside with tears in their eyes as if they were seeing their daughter getting married off.

Fei hugged them all, despite her husband's disproved looks and then sat inside the car with his help.

After making sure that she sat comfortably, he joined in and sat inside in the black sedan - 1969s Chevrolet Chevelle.

"Madam."

It was Zhou Shwan's first to be in the presence of the madam and he slightly bowed his head from the passenger seat with his eyes lowered, the servants weren't allowed to look at the nobles so blatantly.

And then he ordered the chauffeur to start driving.

The sedan drove outside the manor, passing from the large private estate, there was no house to be seen, only nicely trimmed trees on the way.

Fei's heart felt full as she enjoyed looking outside with excitement and joy.

Yang felt his heart ache, watching her getting pleased just like that. After knowing how simple her life was, he wished that she was more selfish, and ask him anything which was out of reach, so he could do his best to fulfill those wishes.

Alas, his wife loved simplicity more than anything.

Yang gave a look to Zhou Shwan and the aide was fast enough to curtain their presence from the backseat.

Now with the privacy, the man hugged his veiled wife and placed his chin onto her shoulder while she watched the world out of the small window.

"I'm sorry," He hugged her tighter before whispering sweetly to her. "I was too late." He turned her face around and removed the veil to kiss her small plump lips. "I want you to punish me, sweetheart."

Breaking away from the chaste kiss, Fei gently leaned her forehead against his chin and said in a small voice. "I'm too blessed to have you, husband. I simply cannot imagine doing it. The wait was worthwhile for me, it made me realize the importance of not taking things for granted such as love."

"My heart aches for you, I want you to be more selfish, darling." Yang's eyes turned bloodshot and his vulnerability was left open, only for her to see as he conveyed the emotions inside his aching heart.

"I'm selfish enough to have you within my reach," She mischievously knocked her forehead on his forehead and giggled. "If I get more selfish, the heavens will punish me for it."

Yang stared at her, growing silent as he hugged her in his arms, thinking back to himself.

The selfish one is him. He left her abandoned and then came back as he pleased. And when he realized that he'd neglected a hidden gem, he was too selfish to let her go. If the heavens even decide to punish someone for being selfish, it'd be definitely him.

Only if Yang knew.. that his punishment had come to him, disguised as a blessing - The wife he adored so much.

...