┃16┃

After lunch Yang was not seen inside the manor as Zhou Shwan, his aide, came to fetch him for the business he was initially here for.

He wore his signature robe and left the manor after giving Fei sweet kisses on her mouth with an assurance that he'll be back by the time of dinner.

She was reluctant to let him go but chose to be obedient. After all, he wasn't here for her and won't stay forever within her reach.

Her eyes drooped, feeling wronged at the simple thought of it. He'd already made himself clear that he wasn't planning to give his heart to her but she has no plan of giving up trying.

...

"Mistress?" A maid was keenly observing Fei as she sewed the cloth in her hand with focus. They were all making new curtains for the manor.

"Um? Do you have something to say, Huomei?" Fei looked at her with gentle eyes.

"I was wondering why don't you ask the master to visit the temple with you? You can pray and ask for the blessings and the longevity of your marriage." They all were aware how fond their mistress was of the master and how she didn't want him to leave.

Fei was surprised to hear this, she'd never given a thought to this thing before.

"B-But what if he doesn't agree and gets displeased with the idea?" She asked, unsure about this because she's never really been outside before.

"Why would he get displeased? It's common for a husband-wife to seek God's blessing for their marriage," Another maid jumped into the conversation.

"Really?"

"Really!" They all said in unison.

"Ummm," Fei placed a finger on her chin and gave it a thought with her eyes wandering around.

In her heart, she was willing to do anything which keeps their marriage blessed and unshakable.

It's better to try something than just to let fate have a say in your life.

"Then I'll try to speak with him about it," She finally agreed with a smile on her face. "Thank you for telling me about this, Huomei."

"You're too polite, mistress."

The maids were satisfied as they got back to their work, unaware of their mistress's conflict emotions.

...

Yang silently walked inside the hall of decision making in his confident and powerful strides.

There was no emotion of warmth in his eyes and his lips were pursed into a straight line.

He looked displeased and unapproachable to the elders who were sitting on their chairs and had been waiting for his arrival.

"He is here."

They all murmured in a hushed tone and stood up but not because they respected him, it was because they feared him and would always try to stay in his good graces.

Yang didn't say anything and sat on the head chair, crossing his legs in an imposing manner with his eyes lowered.

All of them breathe in the harsh air when the atmosphere suddenly starts to feel more tense and suffocating in his presence.

The heir was certainly the youngest among them, yet his aura spoke of nothing but one of a ruler's.

Yang's eyes were lowered and he seemed to be thinking about something. All the men present in the hall didn't dare sit without his command.

Their old bones were secretly shaking under their composed faces and they couldn't help but take quick glances of him, curious to know what was going inside his mysterious mind.

The man was actually in the deep thoughts of a woman; his little wife who seemed to not leave his mind and had already made a place of her own in there.

His brows furrowed and he finally looked up, shooting the people a cold glare.

Had it not been for these incapable old geezers, he would've been peacefully spending his time with her.

Faced with his harsh glare, they sucked all the air their damaged lungs could take.

What was the cause of this sourness in his mood?

"Young master," An elder mustered up his courage and spoke in a respectful way. "How was your journey back here? I hope it went smoothly." Someone had to break the ice and unfortunately he volunteered as a scapegoat.

"It was good." Yang gave a curt reply, to their utter surprise and nodded to start the meeting. "We shall proceed with the meeting."

"Yes, young master." They all echoed in unison and the meeting went on for hours but the heir didn't really seem like he was paying attention to them as his mind would always drift off to those glossy pairs of eyes.

They could only wonder in their minds which formidable enemy had captured the young master's attention.

They watched in curiosity as he sighed and closed his eyes in helplessness, appearing to be in deep trouble.

What is happening to him?

...

Reaching the manor, Yang didn't wait for his chauffeur to open the car's door as he rushed out after opening the car door himself, rendering Zhou Shwan, bewildered in a spot.

Believe him when he says he's never seen his Master in such a hurry.

He took long and urgent strides, not caring of his image as he passed the servants who bowed to him. They were surprised too but didn't let it show on their faces.

What happened to the young master? Why does he seem in such a hurry?

Fei was busy feeding her birds when suddenly strong arms wrapped around her, causing her to yelp in surprise but she soon relaxed when she recognized who it was.

"H-Husband," She wanted to turn around and greet him but he instantly tightened his bruising hold on her, causing her to whimper and ask. "D-Did something happen at work?"

"You're driving me crazy," He said while taking a wild sniff of her fragrant body.

"You've no idea," He almost sounded angry when he continued,"How much trouble you're causing me."

Fei really had no idea what she had done to make him angry but she still apologized to him in her soft voice and asked if he wanted to take a bath to cool down his anger.

Yang agreed but he also demanded her to accompany him and clean his back.

She was shy at first but agreed when he glared at her, daring her to refuse him.

...