Chapter 52

The following day, I had to meet my brother at Mom's old house. I hadn't been back here yet. I couldn't bring myself to until today. I couldn't even bring myself to go inside, opting to sit on the porch and wait for Josh.

I could barely keep myself there. If I didn't go in the house, I wouldn't have to sort her stuff. It was bad enough that Caracara was gone now and I didn't have her business to hold on to. If I had to clear out her stuff too I might lose it completely.

I decided to call Gemma and check on the funeral arrangements as I waited. Since Mom was a club old lady, Gemma offered to take care of everything so I could focus on grieving.

"Hey baby," she said.

"Hey Gem, I just wanted to check and see how things were going," I said.

"Everything's taken care of baby. If you need a distraction this afternoon though I've gotta do the prep work for the dinner after," she said.

She was my mom's best friend so neither of us have managed to say the word funeral yet.

"Yeah. Josh is getting in this morning so I don't know what is gonna happen yet but maybe I'll get him to come with and we can help out."

"Alright baby. At least swing by so I can see you're okay," she said. I agreed and we ended the call as a Jeep Compass pulled into the driveway.

Josh got out of the drivers seat and looked up at me. "Shit this place hasn't changed but you sure have."

"Wouldn't seem like so much if you'd bother to come home on occasion," I said.

"That traveling works both ways dear sister," he said. I rolled my eyes and walked down to hug him.

"Here's the house keys. It's got the keys to Dad's bike and truck too."

"Do you want either?"

"You can't sell his bike til he's dead. If you don't want it here I'll talk to Jax about storing it at our place. And the truck I could probably help you get rid of."

"You're still running around with that scumbag Jax Teller?"

"Scumbag?" I asked, taken off guard by the attitude he had towards my best friend and old man.

"So that's a yes," he said, clearly annoyed with me.

"Oh I'm sorry that one of us had to be here to help Mom out so I didn't get to run away from all this shit since my big brother got to."

"I didn't get to do anything. Dad groomed me to join the MC same way Mom groomed you to be a Porn Queen. I started riding at 16. Joined the Marines because he said it would help me in the life. Then I got out of here. Saw a different way of living."

"Josh I'm not going to spend the rest of my life arguing about the technicalities of our lives. Or the MC," I said.

He just nodded and opened the car door. I helped him carry some boxes into the living room but I couldn't bring myself to go any further.

Once the few belongings he'd brought with him were in the living room, we sat on the porch talking some more and catching up.

"I should head out. Gemma needs my help for stuff tomorrow. Do you want to come with?" I asked. He looked at me. "Everything for mom is tomorrow. The service and a dinner after. The club took care of it all."

"Funeral Alex. Just say the word."

"I can't," I said.

He stood up. "I'll come help but I'm driving myself in case I need to leave."

I nodded and got in my car, leading him down to Gemma's house