Chapter 13

The following morning, I was up at roughly 7:00. I got dressed in a knee length black dress. I got ready as quickly as I could, trying not to think about today.

I hadn't heard from Jax since last night, but I was sure something had gone down. Juice called me about midnight looking for him.

I finished getting ready and got in my car, heading to Opie's. He'd asked me to help out with Ellie and Kenny this morning. I knocked on the door and he opened it.

"Hey," I said softly.

"Ellie saw a butterfly yesterday shortly after you left. She was very excited," he said.

"Glad I could help," I said.

"Kids are in their rooms. Mary should be here shortly to help out," he said. "I'm gonna go shower and get ready."

"They eat yet?" I asked.

"Uh no," he said.

"I've got em," I said. "Go get ready."

I headed off to the kids rooms and they were both awake, looking for clothes to wear for today. I helped Ellie find some stuff and sat it out on her bed before going to find Kenny some clothes as well.

"Let's go get breakfast," I said. We headed to the kitchen and I got them each some cereal and some orange juice.

"Alright go brush your teeth. We'll deal with hair next then clothes," I said as the door opened and Mary walked in.

"Alex," she said.

"Teeth you two," I said to the kids who still hadn't moved they finally took off for the bathroom.

"Thanks, for everything," Mary said. I nodded a bit and rounded up the dishes.

"Here, you don't need to cover yourself in water today."

"Thanks," I said. "Opie asked me to help out with the kids this morning. That's all."

"I know. He told me how great you were with Ellie yesterday," she said.

"It was nothing," I said. She nodded a bit but the kids were returning so I took off to help them get ready. I brushed Ellie's hair up into a high ponytail before ballet bunning it. I headed off to help Kenny as she got dressed.

"Hey Kenny," I said as I walked into his room.

"Alex, when is momma coming home?" He asked softly. He's only six so he doesn't really understand death just yet.

"Oh Kenny," I said softly. "She isn't coming home but she'll always be with you, reminding you how much she loves you."

He nodded a bit and grabbed his clothes so he could get ready. Ellie and Mary walked out of Ellie's room as I was stepping into the hallway to collect myself. I couldn't bring myself to cry in front of these kids. They needed us to be strong.

"Where's Opie?" I asked softly.

Mary nodded to the open bedroom door at the end of the hall and I walked down, stopping in the doorway.

"Hey Ope," I said. "I gotta go pick my mom up. I think Mary's got the kids. They're basically ready."

"Thanks," he said. "For everything."

"Yeah, I'll see ya in a bit," I said.

"Hey," he said, making me freeze as I was trying to leave.

"Make sure Jax is there today," he said. "I've just got a bad feeling. I can't get a hold of him."

I grabbed my phone and called Jax's number quickly. It went straight to voicemail. It was dead.

"He'll be there Opie. I promise. He cares about you too much to miss this," I said. Opie nodded and I hugged him quickly before heading home to pick up my mom before heading to the funeral.