Chapter 44

"Hey Alex," Mary's voice came through my phone.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Can I get you to meet me at the garage?" She asked.

"I'll be there in ten," I said. I headed out onto the floor and searched for my mom, letting her know that I'd be back.

I drove to the garage quickly and beat Mary there.

"What's up?" Opie asked.

"Mary asked me to meet her here," I said. She pulled in and the kids got out of her car.

"You get my message?" She asked Opie as the kids stood near the car.

"No, and why aren't they in school?" He asked.

"They had the day off. I'm going to the cabin to check on Piney," she said.

"Mom, I'm swamped here," Opie said.

"I can take em. You can pick em up from either Neeta or I tonight. I'll call in this afternoon," I offered.

"Or their father could parent them," she said.

"Mom, I'm trying to make a living here," Opie said.

"Mary, go check on Piney," I said. She nodded and hugged the kids goodbye.

"I'll take em Opie," I said. He nodded and went to talk to the kids.

"Okay guys, go with Alex. Be good. I'll pick you up tonight," he said. They each nodded and hugged him before going to my car with me.

"I have to call in to work really quick," I said, dialing my mom's number as they got situated in the car.

"Hey sweetie," she said, answering the phone.

"Hey Ma, I need the afternoon off. Opie's kids need a babysitter," I said.

"That's fine," she said. "I gotta go. I love you."

"I love you too Ma," I said. I got in my car and started talking to the kids as I drove to Jax and I's house. When we got there, I got them set up in front of the TV before letting Neeta leave for the afternoon.

They were easy kids to babysit. They were happy watching cartoons and reading. Ellie decided to color at one point. They were just relatively happy kids.

"Alex, when is Dad going to be here?" Kenny asked as I worked on dinner for us.

"I don't know Kenny," I said. He nodded and went back to the TV.

After I fed them dinner, they decided to start watching a movie. I sat Abel in his playpen and started to clean the kitchen.

A knock at the door had me tensing in seconds.

"Just stay here," I said to Ellie and Kenny as I went to the door.

Luckily it was just Lyla.

"I'm here for Opie's kids," she said.

"No you're not," I said. "I'm not letting them go with anyone but him."

"Alex," she said.

"Lyla, you know I trust you but they aren't my kids," I said.

She rolled her eyes and stormed off.

"Who was it Alex?" Ellie asked.

"Just someone from my work. Nothing major," I said with a smile. She nodded and went back to the movie.

By the time the movie ended, Opie had finally shown up.

"Sorry I had to handle some club shit," he said. "And sorry about Lyla."

"I just didn't feel safe sending them with her without a heads up from you," I said. He nodded and hugged me before thanking me for protecting them.

"Go spend time with your kids," I said. He nodded and they left, leaving me alone with Abel. I bathed him and got him ready for bed before Gemma called.

"Hello," I said, answering my phone.

"Hey baby," she said.

"Their bail was posted. Come to the garage," she said.

"We'll be there in a bit," I said. I placed Abel in his car seat and grabbed my jacket before heading out.