Chapter 40

I drove home in silence. The car ride had knocked Abel out and I refused to turn the radio on in case I somehow missed Abel crying. When I got home, I instantly bathed Abel and sat him in the playpen to sleep where I could keep an eye on him. I cleaned the kitchen as I waited for Jax to get home.

Before too long I heard his bike pull up out front but he wasn't alone. I went to the window to see who was with him and sure enough, Opie had followed him home.

"Ope I'm fine man. It was one hit," Jax said as I opened the door.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Your precious prince mouthed off to mommy one too many times," Opie said.

"Babe," I said, grabbing his wrist so he would move the hand covering his left eye. He blinked a few times but seemed alright otherwise. He had a nice shiner and his eye was a little swollen, which was probably why Opie had followed him home.

"Abel's in his playpen," I said softly, knowing that Jax really just wanted to see his son. He pushed past me to get inside.

"Ope, wanna come in for a bit? I can make some coffee or something," I said.

"Thanks Alex, but I gotta get home to the kids. And you, my dear, get to deal with him. Call if you need someone to put him in his place," Opie said as he climbed onto his bike to leave.

"I think I can manage," I said. I headed inside and shut and locked the door behind me.

When I entered the living room, Jax had taken his kutte and holsters off and was holding Abel. The two were laying on the couch already and I just smiled at them.

"Sometimes the best medicine is cuddles," I said softly as I sat on the floor next to the couch.

"I agree," he said.

"What happened with Gemma?" I asked softly.

"She got pissed because I called her bullshit. Nothing major," he said.

"She got ya good. I'd say it was pretty major," I said.

"She's just pissed that I want you helping me raise my son. She should just be his grandmother and she doesn't see that," he said.

"Maybe you should start by calling in to that party tonight. Prove to her that we are both choosing Abel's well-being over the party," I said.

"One step ahead of ya. Luann is pissed cause her main girl has the hots for me," he said. Of course the girls from Caracara would be there.

"Your ma ain't the only old lady that knows how to swing," I said. He chuckled at me a little as Abel woke up a bit. He made a few little babbling noises, but Jax started cooing to him and he settled back down.

"I'll talk to my mom," I said. "Remind her that you have an old lady that ain't a porn star."

"It's a good thing too. I don't like sharing much," Jax said as I laughed at him and stood up. I walked to the kitchen to grab an ice pack and returned to him with it wrapped in a dish towel.

"For your eye my dear," I said, kneeling by his head to get a better look at his eye. Up close the damage was pretty significant.

"Alex I'm okay. Seriously," he said. He seemed a bit upset about everything so I decided not to fight with him right now.

"I'm going to go get the puke covered laundry started. Maybe think of something for dinner," I said as I stood up and headed down the hall.