Chapter 39

"Here Gemma," I said as she grew frustrated with Abel's crying. It's been a week since Christmas, and we were at the Clubhouse waiting for the guys to get back and prepping for the big New Years Eve party.

"It's no use," she said. "He's probably teething or something."

I sat the baby on my hip and started to bounce him around as the guys all walked into the club house. Abel started to quiet a bit but it wasn't much. I cooed to him and bounced him but none of it was working. Jax basically ran over to us.

"What's wrong with him?" Jax asked.

"I don't know. Gemma thinks he's teething but I'm not sure," I said lowly so Gemma wouldn't hear that I was doubting her. Abel quieted a bit more as Jax placed his hand on the baby's back.

Suddenly there was a huge wet spot on the shoulder of my shirt. I closed my eyes tightly.

"Babe get me a towel," I said taking a deep breath before opening my eyes and moving Abel off my shoulder.

"Gemma, figured out what's wrong with him," I said. She looked over at me and instantly jumped into action. She took Abel and started pulling his clothes off of him as I took the towel from Jax and wiped my shirt off the best that I could.

"Babe, do you have a shirt I can wear?" I asked.

"Yeah, come on," he said, leading me to his room and rummaging through the dresser. He grabbed one of his SAMCRO shirts and handed it to me.

"You good?" He asked as I shut the door and peeled my shirt off.

"Yeah, just a little puke," I said. "But I think maybe we should take Abel home."

"Yeah, that might be a good plan."

I pulled his shirt on over my head and used my hair tie to tie the back of it up so it wasn't hanging quite so baggily on my body.

"Are you done with club stuff for the day?" I asked.

"There's the party tonight, but we can get out of here with Abel for a few hours," he said.

"Yeah, I think he just ate too much at lunch," I said, wrapping my shirt up in a plastic bag.

Jax and I headed back down the hall to where Gemma had Abel changed into a new onesie.

"Ma, we're going to take him home and see if he starts feeling better," Jax said.

"I can take him until he feels better," Gemma offered. Jax looked at me and I put my hands up, going to grab Abel's dirty onesie. He knew this was between him and his mother, and he knew I wasn't going to involve myself.

"We can take him," Jax said, taking Abel and heading to his car seat. Abel whined a little when Jax sat him down.

"Are you sure you two can handle it? I mean you're just now starting to parent him when he feels fine," Gemma said. I looked over at Jax as I packed and zipped the diaper bag. He looked quite angry.

"Babe, why don't you head home? I'll be right there," Jax said. "Take Abel."

"I love you. I'll see you at home," I said, kissing Jax's lips quickly before grabbing the suitcase and diaper bag and heading for the door.

"Alex, here," Juice said, taking the diaper bag from me.

"Thanks Juice," I said, stopping at the door to look back at Jax and Gemma. Jax was obviously angry and he was waiting for me to get out. I nodded a little as we made eye contact and I headed out.

"What's that about?" Juice asked, nodding toward the door that was shutting behind us.

"Jax gets upset when Gemma implies that I'm not a fit mother for Abel. He doesn't really care what she says about him as a dad cause he is still learning what he's doing but he gets upset when she implies that I'm somehow fucking Abel up," I explained as I reached my car. I unlocked it and opened the back passenger door, putting Abel's car seat in the car.

"How bad do you think this will be?"

"Well, Jax must think it's gonna end pretty bad if he had me and Abel leave. Let's just hope Clay is there to stop them," I said. Juice nodded a little as he sat the diaper bag in the back seat.

"Thanks," I said, motioning to the diaper bag.

"You're welcome," he said.