Chapter 16

At roughly six thirty I left the studio and headed back to Jax's place. Gemma was already there waiting. She was feeding Abel in his room.

"How's the little guy doing?" I asked softly.

"Good. Real good," she said. I nodded and she started to burp him. I headed to the bedroom and sat my purse down before returning to the nursery. She sat him down and he pretty much instantly fell asleep.

"Are you on the pill?" She asked suddenly.

"IUD," I said. "Don't worry. There will be no surprise grandchildren in the next few months."

"So you and Jax have talked about this?"

"We've talked about pretty much everything," I said.

"What about club business?" She asked.

"He says club business and I don't go sticking my nose where it doesn't belong. I have my own risky business endeavors to worry about," I said. "Porn, while legit, is always a fine line to walk."

"Do you want to know?" She asked. "You plan on ever putting more than three seconds of thought into what he does."

"All I want to know is what Jax needs help shouldering. If he decides that I need to be privy to information then so be it. If he decides that some information is better left off the table and it blows up later, that's on him," I said.

"If you plan on being his old lady for long, you're going to run into some shit you don't like. Be prepared," she said.

"Don't worry. I am," I said. She looked at me skeptically.

"I spent five years as a stripper in the worst parts of this state Gemma. I think I can handle myself," I said.

"My son know that?" She asked.

"Half the damn club knows," I said. She just stared at me.

"Being a stripper doesn't prepare you to be an old lady," she said. I rolled my eyes a little and she left finally. I took a deep breath and headed to the kitchen. I made myself some tea before sitting down on the couch with a novel.

A couple hours later, Jax walked in.

"You're home early," I said.

"Yeah I'm just tired." He threw his kutte and holsters onto the chair across the room from me. "Said hi to Bobby and left. He had better things to do anyways."

I nodded a little as Jax walked over to me.

"I'm going to go shower and go to bed," he said, kissing my lips quickly. I closed my book and sat it on the table. I waited until there was water running in the bathroom before I went to grab his clothes.

I headed to start the laundry and left his blood stained gloves on the washer. I opened the washer so that I could return to it with them after asking him about them.

"Babe," I said as I walked up. He turned around to me holding the blood stained gloves.

"Club shit," he said.

"Can I ask?"

"You want the truth?"

"Jax, there's nothing you can say that will make me leave. You know that right?" I asked and he nodded a bit.

"I helped Opie kill a man today," he said.

"I'm sorry," I said softly, kissing his lips gently.

"I'm going to bed," he said. I nodded and took the gloves to the washer. When I returned, he was sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Wanna talk?" I asked, sitting down with him.

"He was innocent. Tig and Clay convinced Opie that this was the Mayans doing so we killed someone who'd done time for manslaughter," he said. I rubbed his back a little as he started to cry.

"I need to get some sleep," Jax said. I nodded and moved around the bed. He laid facing away from me, so I curled up behind him, holding him as he held my hand tightly, as if scared to let go.