Chapter 9

"Do I look okay?" I asked. I was wearing jeans and a long sleeve shirt with some heels but I felt underdressed.

"It's just a coming home party for a baby," my mother said. I finally caved and we left together, heading down to Jax's for Abel's coming home party.

We headed inside and started helping Gemma out however we could. She seemed happy enough to have us there.

I glanced around the room. Pretty much everyone was here. Even Donna and the kids were here. I expected Opie to make a five minute appearance and head home, so that was strange.

I felt a little out of place in the room of bikers and their old ladies. I was one of the few without a direct attachment to the club present.

"Trust me, no one cares that your father isn't here but us," my mother said bitterly. She's still upset that she can't get a conjugal visit with my dad. That won't be happening anytime soon though because he beat in the face of the ATF agent that arrested us and is going after the club.

"I know," I said, looking at the drink in my hands. I could feel someone staring at me and it took everything in me not to look up. If I made eye contact with Tig Trager right now, I'd probably punch him square in the nose.

The door opened and Jax walked in carrying his son with Wendy close behind. I forgot she was staying here until she could get into her halfway house. We all cheered and everyone started saying their congratulations to Jax and Wendy. I hung out by the far wall, sipping my drink and making small talk with Juice.

"Hey, can I steal her a minute?" Jax asked as he walked over to Juice and I. Juice nodded and I followed Jax down the hall to Abels room.

"Are we good?" He asked.

"Fine," I said.

"I don't trust that," he said.

"So you and Wendy playing house again or what?" I asked.

"She's staying here to help care for Abel for a few days until she can get into the halfway house. You know that Alex, but her and I are done," he said.

"So when this party is over and we're all long gone, you're not going to bed with her?"

"No," he said. "I sleep on the couch. I'd stay at the clubhouse but I'm not convinced she can handle Abel alone. Why are you so worried about this anyway?"

"I guess I just thought we had something good going is all," I said. I looked anywhere but at his eyes. I couldn't bring myself to do that because I'd break down in tears the second i did.

"Hey, look at me," he said, wrapping one arm around me. "We do. Okay? It's just been a long time since I was in love like this."

"I know," I said, finally looking up at him.

"We have something good going and I want a label for it, really," he said.

"So why not?"

"Why don't we have dinner soon and we can figure out what we are," he said.

"Works for me cause I can't do the whole being possessive about me but won't be in a relationship with me thing," I said.

"Yeah. I am sorry about that. Just have very strong feeling for you," he said, placing his hands on my cheeks and kissing me.

"You have a party to get back to. Go ahead I'll be out in a second."

He nodded and headed out to the living room. I sat down on the floor and took a few deep breaths. I wasn't sure what was going to come of this thing between Jax and I but I had to believe it was going to be good.

We've known each other since we were kids. We were raised together. Everyone thought we'd get married, especially after Opie got with Donna, but now everything's changed. He's been married. Has an almost exwife and a child to think about too. Was that really baggage I was willing to take on too?

I exhaled rather loudly before standing up and returning to the party. Just in time to say goodbye to Opie and his family. They left with Tig following behind at an alarming speed.