Chapter 31

I groaned a little looking at the clock on the nightstand. 2:30 am. I rolled my eyes and cuddled closer to Jax. I knew I probably wouldn't sleep much more despite wanting to.

The few weeks since I've gotten out of the hospital have been hell. My body is healing up alright but my mind is in shambles. I hate being home alone anymore. The first time Jax left me here with Abel was so he could go grab some dinner and I sat locked in Jax and I's room with Abel in my arms until he got back. The worst part though is the nightmares. They happen every night. Jax can usually get me calmed back down and we fall asleep again just to do it all over a few hours later.

I decided I'd get up and be productive. I first walked into Abel's room to check on the boy. He was still sound asleep and I smiled down at him a little. That boy is so perfect.

After a few seconds I headed out to the kitchen trying to stay as quiet as I could. I got myself a glass of water figuring maybe I could get myself to fall back asleep. When I'd been at the table zoning out for ten minutes without getting even remotely tired I gave up.

"What should I do?" I asked myself softly as I looked around the spotless kitchen and living room. The only rooms that needed cleaned were the bedrooms but with both boys asleep that was out of the question. I looked at the calendar to see what we had to do today.

Nothing. Not a single thing. Jax would have to go into work for a bit and probably handle club business or something. I'd be able to stay home and nap as long as Abel allowed it. Sometimes he gets very fussy during the day if he has to lay down. Maybe I could get Gemma to take him.

I froze, doing a double take at the date. December 18 and I still haven't made a single batch of cookies. That is very out of character. I started searching through the cupboards and found the ingredients for some peanut butter blossoms. I instantly started to work.

I'd gotten the second batch in the oven and the first batch was cooling without an issue. I started to unwrap the Hershey kisses and placed them onto the cooling cookies.

"Babe, what are you doing? It's 3:30 in the morning," Jax said, causing me to jump slightly and turn to face him. He was rubbing his eyes tiredly as he walked across the kitchen to me.

"Sorry. I uh couldn't sleep so I got up. I was going to clean or something but then I realized that it's the 18th and I haven't done much Christmas prep work."

As I explained I turned back to what I was doing and Jax walked up behind me. His hands landed on my hips as I continued on with the cookies.

"The Tellers have a way of handling insomnia, ya know," he said.

"Baby, having sex isn't gonna help me sleep," I said as he kissed the side of my neck.

"Might help ya relax though," he said. I smiled softly.

"But we do need Christmas cookies. I'll have to go to the store in the morning and get the ingredients for chocolate chip cookies and Buckeyes and haystacks and whatever else I can think of," I said.

"Sugar cookies," he said softly. They were his favorite.

"And gingerbread," I said.

"What on earth are we going to do with all these cookies?" Jax asked.

"Take 'em to the clubhouse," I said. He chuckled lowly.

"How much longer do you think you're going to be?" He asked after a few moments. He'd taken a seat in the chair I'd been sitting in and started to eat a cookie.

"At least another half an hour," I said. "Go back to bed. You need to rest."

"Nah Clay gave me the day off."

"From T.M or the MC?" I looked at him curiously.

"Both," he said.

"And calls?"

"Get to go straight to voicemail," he said. I knew if the prepaid rang he'd answer it and be out the door in seconds. I couldn't ask him to choose me over them so long as he continued to come home in one piece.

"My favorite kind of day," I said with a smile.

He chuckled a little and the timer went off so I grabbed the cookies from the oven and popped the last batch in. I started to transfer the cookies so they could cool.

I felt Jax's eyes on me and continued to work. I was used to it. He checks me out all the time. However, when his eyes remained on my face I relented and looked over at him as a blush creeped onto my cheeks.

"You are amazing, babe," he said.

"Thanks," I said softly. I started unwrapping the kisses for the cookies.

"Can I help?" He asked. His blue eyes glittered like a child's and I couldn't say no. He grabbed the bag of kisses and started to unwrap one. He placed it on a cookie.

"Perfect," I said.

"I had a good teacher," he said, referring to the many times that I made him help me with Christmas cookies in our youth.

"I'm glad she was persistent and wouldn't just let you eat the ingredients," I said. He smiled at the memories. I leaned down and kissed his lips gently.

"I love you Jackson," I said, smiling a little as we pulled away from one another.

"I love you too Alexandra," he said. He was smiling, really smiling.

I sat down in his lap and we finished with that batch of cookies.

"I'm going to start on some of these dishes," I said.

"Just run the dishwasher," he said.

"Weren't you supposed to start it after dinner?" I asked.

"I was supposed to but my phone rang. It got loaded," he said.

I rolled my eyes at him a little and started in on the dishes. By the time I had the dishes loaded in the dishwasher the timer went off and I grabbed the last batch of cookies from the oven. I turned the oven off quickly so I didn't forget.

"You have to let them cool at least a little or you'll have a melted chocolate mess," I said as he attempted to place kisses on them already. I put the pan in the dishwasher and started it before taking a seat in Jax's lap once again.

"Can I start now, Miss Delaney?" He asked.

"Good god boy," I said. I placed my hands on either of his cheeks and pulled him into a deep kiss. He instantly moved his hands to my face trying to deepen it as much as possible.

"You can start now," I said after a few minutes of us making out.

"Good distraction, but I hope you plan to finish what you started," he said as we both started working on the last batch of cookies.

"I always do Jax," I said. We finished up the cookies and headed back to our room.

"Since the cookies didn't work. Maybe the Teller treatment will," he said with a troublemaker smirk.

"Well my baking habit would've worked for me to fall back asleep but someone decided to come into my kitchen and get me all worked up," I said.

"Don't worry baby. I'll handle that for ya," he said.

"I can't Jax," I said softly.

He nodded a little and kissed my temple. "I get it babe. Let's go lay down for a bit and see if you can relax, yeah?"

I nodded and we returned to our bed.

It wasn't that I didn't want to have sex with Jax, because believe me I did. My body was almost completely healed from the assault, but it was my mind that wouldn't heal.