Chapter 33

After a quick trip to the grocery store, we started making cookies as I played some Christmas music. Jax was not impressed with the choice of music, but he'd get over it.

"Babe, when do you plan on putting up a tree?" I asked, looking at our living room that had absolutely no decorations.

"I guess we'll do it the day after tomorrow," he said. I nodded a bit and continued to make the Buckeyes that I was working on.

"Jackson," I chided as he stuck his finger in the melted chocolate that I was using.

"Some things never change," he said with a chuckle.

"Well, they changed a little," I said, kissing his lips.

"Only acceptable change in my eyes," he said. I rolled my eyes at him as I started singing along to the song playing from my phone.

"When are we going to wrap presents?" Jax asked.

"Did you want to help?" I asked.

"No," he said sarcastically. "I strategically asked you to move in a month before Christmas so I wouldn't have to worry about anything Christmas related."

"Jax, this is your son's first Christmas," I said.

"Our," he said. "Abel is our son."

"Well, legally, Wendy is still his mother," I said. "Speaking of, is she spending Christmas with him?"

"She's still in the halfway house," he said. "And I don't care what legality says. You are his mother."

"I love you Jackson," I said.

"I love you too Alexandra," he said, kissing my lips. Abel started crying and I looked at the clock as Jax and I pulled apart.

"He's hungry," I said.

"I'll feed him," Jax said.

"You're volunteering?" I asked.

"Well it's that or finishing up the Buckeyes which you will yell at me about the whole time."

"I could yell at ya while you feed Abel," I said with a smile tugging at my lips.

"Or you could not," he said.

We spent the rest of the day making cookies. By about 6:00 pm, we were leaving for dinner at Gemma and Clay's.

"Hello baby," Gemma said to Jax as she met us at the door.

"Hi Ma," he said.

"Alex, baby," she said, pulling me into a hug.

"Hi Gemma," I said. Clay had already pulled Jax aside and the two were talking as Jax took Abel from his car seat.

"How're you holding up baby?" She asked as I sat our bags down.

"It's been rough but we're getting through," I said. "Do you need help with dinner?"

"Nope it's almost done," she said.

I nodded a little as she headed off to the kitchen as Clay followed her.

"How're things there?" I asked.

"I don't really know," Jax said, staring at his stepfather. I took Abel from him and started to talk to the boy.

Before long we were all sitting down to dinner together. Clay was seated at the head of the table with Gemma on his right and Jax on his left. I sat next to Jax, holding Abel as I ate.

Dinner was pretty quiet. Gemma tried to make small talk but Jax and Clay were busy glaring at one another. I tried to help her out, but to no avail.

"Alright, should we watch a movie or something?" Gemma asked. Dinner was done and she and I had cleaned up pretty quickly. We were all scattered around the living room. Clay was sitting in a recliner. Jax had sat on the couch with Abel in his arms. I sat next to him and curled into his side.

"Sure," Jax said. She started some movie that I barely paid attention to as I cuddled with Jax and Abel.