The Contest

Kabeiro's days as king were near an end. He was old, sick and weak, seldom leaving his chambers. He ruled long and wisely, increasing the prosperity of the Keiftu. There was great uncertainty amidst the twilight of his reign.

He had three sons: Rhadamanthus, The Wise; Sarpedon, The Just; and Minos, the youngest. All three of them were adopted, leaving no bloodline succession to the throne. Kabeiro had to decide which of them would be the next king. It was no easy task as two of the three were respected and admired by all.

Rhadamanthus was the oldest and a visionary. Sarpedon tempered his impetuousness through counsel of his elders. Both had different ways of influencing those around them. Minos, on the other hand, was impulsive and had no foresight. Too young to wield a spear, he was always too eager to prove his worth. He didn't understand that manhood cannot be rushed.

Kabeiro pondered for a long time. He walked through the Palace's rooms, deep in meditation. Yet the more he thought, the farther he was from reaching a decision. Then one day, it came to him. The Gods will tell me which one will be. He summoned the three.

"I am proud of you all. You have become men of good. You have proven yourselves to be great leaders of men..."

Minos took his eyes off his father. Staring at the floor he pressed his lips. Politeness out of love is still a lie, he thought.

Kabeiro continued, "I am near my time and one of you must become king. For as much thought as I have given this, I am unable to decide who will continue to guide our people once I am gone. It is for this reason I have asked for the intervention of the Gods."

All three of his sons looked at each other and to their father, their puzzled eyes intersecting in unanswered questions.

"Each of you shall go on a hunt. He who brings me the most extraordinary creature shall be crowned king. The full moon will rise in three days. You will depart then. You have one cycle to gain the favor of the Gods."

The three remained silent as they tried to grasp the magnitude of the task at hand. Rhadamanthus was not a man of arms, thus he wondered about his possibilities. Sarpedon was venturous and he immediately smiled when he heard of the contest. Minos was more than willing to take on the challenge, not accepting he was not yet capable.

The news of the contest quickly spread throughout the island and beyond. The uncertainty of Kabeiro's end gave way to anticipation, as the Keiftu wagered on their favorites, the Wise or the Just, to win the throne. Minos was ignored. Thus, the day arrived when all three of them faced their father, at the plaza that rested on top of the palace, overlooking Knossos with the sea as the backdrop.

Rhadamanthus was of short stature. His body was wiry, light but with vigorous musculature above and below his wasp-like waist. His long flowing black hair cascaded down his back in serpentine curls . His loincloth was made of plain linen and he wore royal purple aprons in the front and back held together with a red tassel. A leather quiver full of arrows hung across his back. He held a bow in his right hand. His name was chanted by a large portion of the gathered crowd. He tilted his head down as he looked at a woman standing on the side. He smirked at her blushing, her bare breasts showing her arousal.

Sarpedon was taller than his brother. His extremities were long and slender, with broad shoulders. His skin was brown, slightly darker than that of an average Keiftu. He had a small scar on his forehead. He was bare-chested, proudly displaying his hairless body. A belt made of leather and bronze tightly held a bright colored wool loincloth wrapped around his very slim waist. Hanging from the belt, a bronze sheath held a dagger whose relieved ivory handle hinted to the royal nature of the bearer. He had a fisherman's net hanging from his left shoulder while he held a double-headed spear in his right hand. The women and younger crowd yelled in exhilaration. He nodded, waiving his hand at them while wearing a wide-open smile.