| 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 |

One week ago

One week ago.

"What's happening?"

"Boss, been a... what's that?"

"Hey Mateo, where the hell–"

I ignore all of their questions as I storm into the physical assessment room with Arianna in my arms. Vera and the others trail behind me, worried shitless.

It's so obvious on our faces that we were scared of whatever can happen to Arianna. Her breaths were slow and hard. Her body was already turning reddish brown.

I don't know why I was shaking so much. Why was I so scared?

"Who did this to you Arianna?" I mutter, eyes heavy with tears and face hard with anger.

She grips my right hand, holding it tight and bringing it closer to her chest. This action makes me feel I’m the only thing keeping her standing and alive.

"It's okay, I've got you sweetheart," I bring her head closer to my chest and she closes her eyes smiling. "I won't let you get hurt ever again."

"You'd have to drop her on the bed for me to access her Mateo." The doctor, Alexander, says motioning to the big bed situated in the middle of the room.

"You're going to have to check her out in my arms, doc."

"But–" he starts to argue but when he sees my face, he swallows his words.

He brings out equipments, injecting medicines and drawing out blood from her and she just lays in my arms for minutes which felt like hours.

"Was she drugged?" Alex exclaims, staring at a meter I don't know the name of. “Not even drugged, poisoned?”

"Not that I know of, what's wrong?" I ask and she groans in my arms.

Oh God please.

"She's been poisoned Mateo and I don't think there's anything medicinal I can give her here." Alex explains softly, taking off his robe.

"If you have to raid and empty every pharmacy in town, I'd pay you to do so. Just...please don't let her die." I plead.

"I've never seen this kind of poison before. It's working both as a medicine and a poison and her body's rejecting it as a medicine and judging from the color of her skin," he comes closer to me, opening and checking her eyes, sighing. "She doesn't have a lot of time Mateo."

"So there's nothing we can do?" Vera asks, fumbling with her long braids. Redd couldn't even look at us and Cade was crying non-stop.

"It's circulated all over her body," he explains, eyes focused on Arianna. "Her blood is infected and seeing how she's lost so much blood, we could try to find someone to donate her kind of blood to her but that seems like–"