2: Who's that girl?

Clara POV:

I woke up to beams of sunlight slowly creeping their way through the curtains. I fluttered my eyes open to see Cora's bed was already made, and she was already out of the room. It's her day to make breakfast today. Today is Sunday.

I wish I could fast forward to the part where Addison and I had already met. To the part where I was comfortable with her, and she was comfortable with me. Meeting new people always makes me incredibly nervous. The other thing that's bugging me is that I have no idea when she will be here. All Joanna told me is that she will be here in the afternoon. So for now, I just have to sit with my butterflies.

Noticing the time, I decided that breakfast should be about ready. I peeled myself out of bed slowly, almost coaching myself through the steps.

Alright Clara, just get your hair brushed and head down to eat. You'll have Cora help you get ready and then you'll do your thing til Ms. Addison gets here. Everything is going to be just fine.

I do that a lot- comforting myself. It's how I calm myself in stressful situations. And this whole day is definitely one of them. After I finished brushing my hair, I headed downstairs quickly.

"Hey, there she is!" Anya, my younger sister, exclaimed after noticing my presence.

"Yeah," I said softly. "I decided to get a little extra rest today."

"Yes! Clara has a big day today," Joanna added.

Clara winked at me as I sat my plate next to hers. I ate rather quietly, just taking in what everyone else was saying. Who knows- maybe I won't get the chance to for much longer.

After breakfast was finished, Cora and I went upstairs to our room to get me ready for the day.

"Which do you think: the pink skirt or the jeans?" I asked extravagantly, only trying a little bit to poke fun at my sister's daily routine dramatics.

"Oh very funny," Cora mocked. "The pink skirt. You look adorable."

"You really think so?" I asked.

"Oh, I know so," she replied. She scooted on the ground next to me and pulled me onto her lap.
"You are gonna have the best time today Clara. Joanna was pretty sure when I talked to her that she would be a good fit for you. And if she is even the slightest bit mean, I will give her a piece of my mind!"

"Yea, I hope so," I smiled.

As I finished getting dressed, my mind wandered further. I wonder what her job is? Maybe she'll be something really cool- or something really lame. Who knows! Oh, I wonder if I'll ever get to meet her friends? Hopefully they're nice. Gosh, I really hope she's nice. She's gotta be. Joanna said so. Joanna has never lied to me before. Well, I guess it's all up to me to win her over.

Addison POV:

"Come on Amy! Help me," I pleaded desperately. "I don't know what to wear to make a child feel comfortable! I don't want to be too businesslike, but I certainly don't want to look like a slob either!"

"Isn't this why we invited Violet?!" Amy responded, rolling her eyes. "Violet, should Addie wear the blue pencil skirt and blouse that makes her look like a stuck up surgeon, or the red sun dress?"

"Thanks, Amelia," I snapped.

"Sheesh, sorry," Amy replied.

"Sorry, I'm just nervous. I want her to like me is all. I can't mess this up," I explained. Amy put a gentle hand on my back, and cracked a smile.

"The red dress," Violet answered. "It looks nice on you."

Although Violet wasn't one of my closest friends, Amelia figured it would be good to invite her over since she is a mom and has lots of experience with kids in the foster system. She works as a psychiatrist at the practice we all work at, Oceanside Wellness Group.

As I put the dress on, I thought about all of the things I wanted to do with my daughter when I was a kid. I wanted to dress her up to go shopping, and see lots of movies. I wanted to decorate her room and go on picnics. I just want to love her.

"What kinds of things should I say to her?" I asked Violet.

"Addison, the most important thing is to just be yourself. You are incredible with kids. Lucas loves you. Charlotte and Cooper's kids love you," Violet said.

"Exactly, Addie," Amy added. "All this stuff comes naturally to you: whether you know it or not."

I smiled up at them. I guess I did know it. I guess they are right. I just can't believe my dreams may be about to come true.

"Alright lady, let's get you in the car. Time to go get your girl," Amy laughed. I laughed too.

About 30 minutes later, I arrived at the group home. It was a very short drive from my house: only about 20 minutes. From the outside, the house looked like a typically single family home. There were flowers on the porch, and a little welcome mat. I just hoped Clara was experiencing the same kindness on the inside.

I walked up the steps slowly. When I knocked on the door, I could be meeting my daughter right then. I knew that I had a few last bits of paperwork to do with Joanna before my visit with Clara, but who knows where she would be in the house.

I took a breath, and rang the bell.

"Hi! You must be Addison," a lady with deep skin and a kind smile greeted me. "I'm Joanna, It's so nice to meet you."

"You as well!" I smiled, and she led me through the doorway. While I was glad that I didn't have the opportunity to mess things up just yet, I was a little disappointed I didn't get to meet Clara at the door. That was me being impatient.

As I walked through the house, I took note of two younger girls playing with cars in the corner of the living area. Neither seemed to take much notice of me, so I assumed they must not be Clara. I also heard a bit of an argument upstairs, of which I tried to ignore.

Joanna led me to her office, to which we both sat down.

"So," she began. "There's just a few little formalities I have to have you fill out and then you'll be free to leave with Clara. Her social worker, Courtney, will be here to pick you two up in a bit. Where is it that you're taking her again?" she asked.

"Oh we're going to the beach," I smiled. "It's right by my house so it's only about 20 minutes away from here. I brought some sandwiches and snacks for us for dinner. Oh, she's not allergic to anything is she?" I asked, already sensing myself begin to panic.

"No, that sounds perfect. I'm sure she'll love it," she assured me.

While I finished up signing the papers, I began to feel more at ease. Suddenly, I heard the door swing open.

I looked up to see a young girl looking awfully upset. She had long blond hair, and an adorable pink skirt on. She had her eyes glued to the floor as she began talking.

"Joanna," she began. It sounded as if she were on the verge of tears. "Josh was pushing me around again and messed up the ponytail that Cora helped me do to meet Ms. Addison. Now it's ruined."

Oh my gosh. This was her. This was Clara. I guess she was just as nervous as I was. I guess I should have figured, as she is eight and I am 40. I'm the one who's supposed to have it together.

She looked up, and her beautiful hazel eyes met mine.

"Clara, this is Addison. Addison, this is Clara."