24: Merry and Bright

Clara POV:

When I woke up on Christmas morning, I had no idea what to expect. I had never really had what you would consider a "traditional Christmas Day," with the family time and songs and gifts. I have to admit, I didn't get much sleep the night before thinking all about what it might be like. I hoped that it would be magical. I think Addison always has a little bit of magic with her.

// "Goodnight my sugar plum," Addison said, kissing me on my forehead. "See you in the morning."

"Goodnight, I love you," I yawned.

"Love you too." \\

She called me sugar plum when she tucked me in last night. What even is a sugar plum? It sounds nice though.

I stretched my arms out over my head, wriggling out of my warm comforter and revealing my red Christmas pajamas that Amelia had bought as a Christmas Eve gift. While I was really excited to see what today had in store, I was secretly hoping Addie wouldn't go overboard with the gifts. That made me a little nervous. But I knew she was nearly just excited for today as I was, if not more. I was mostly looking forward to giving my gifts that I had gotten for Addie, Amy, and Cora.

I began my walk down the stairs, already seeing Addie sitting tall on the couch with her cup of coffee, eagerly awaiting me waking up.When her eyes met mine, a smile immediately brightened on her face, mine mirroring hers. In that moment I felt like the luckiest girl in the world.

"Merry Christmas!" Addison exclaimed, practically jumping off the couch to wrap me in a hug.

"Merry Christmas Mama," I smiled, squeezing her tightly.

I took a moment to look around the living room. An array of brightly wrapped packages sat under the tree, as light Christmas music played in the background. She remembered how much I love it. My eyes then traveled to the kitchen table, which was set with plates of fruit and Christmas themed donuts: a food I hadn't had in years. Sitting next to the food was two trays set with gingerbread cookies and various candies and frostings. She followed me as I walked towards the kitchen, surveying the set up.

"Cora's coming over at around noon to do some gingerbread house decorating with you," she smiled. "We can give her your gifts you got too. Plus, Mer and Amelia are coming over later for dinner."

"They're all coming?" I asked excitedly, now feeling more comfortable and excited for today's festivities.

"Yep, they'll all be here," she smiled back. "So, do you want to have breakfast first or open some gifts?"

"Let's do breakfast," I decided.

"Sounds good," she replied, setting her coffee cup down on the island and pulling out a chair.

I quickly followed, pulling out a chair of my own. I glanced down at the breakfast set before me, and back up at Addie.

"My favorites are the chocolate creme ones," she said, referencing the donuts. "I got two of those so we can both have one if you don't know what to pick."

I happily nodded, thankful for the help. And, as always she was right. The donut was definitely a great way to start off Christmas.

"How about we go see what's under that tree?" she suggested after we had finished our breakfast.

"Ok," I smiled shyly, not really knowing what to do with all of the attention on me.

I sat down on the ground next to Addie, my legs curled underneath me. It was fun to watch the colorful lights reflect onto my skin and the floor from off of the tree. There were about 12 packages underneath the tree.