7: Be Still

Addison POV:

I was woken up early this morning for Clara's morning rounds. Everything was looking good, and healing as it should. I wanted nothing more than to stay there with her, but I had early appointments at the practice that I wouldn't be able to miss. Plus, I knew Cora and Joanna were stopping by this morning, so she wouldn't be completely on her own. After rounds, I said goodbye to Clara, promising her that I would be back later in the day.

When I arrived at the practice, I made my way to the kitchen to grab some coffee, as I still had about 30 minutes before my first appointment would start.

Crap.

I arrived in the kitchen to see Amelia and Charlotte talking amongst each other, immediately looking at me as I walked through the doors. I completely forgot about all the explaining waiting for me.

"Soo wanna tell me why you decided to lie and say you had a patient last night instead of coming home? Cause I'm hearin from Charlotte that you had quite the crazy night," Amelia said, cutting straight to the point.

"You have a terrible filter," Charlotte said, nudging Amelia's side. "I'm sorry, Addison."

"It's fine, Amy. I shouldn't have lied. It was about Clara," I replied.

Amelia's face immediately dropped. I could tell she regretted how strong she came off.

"Oh my god, Addie is she okay?" Amy asked urgently.

"Well, yes and no. She was attacked," I began, barely able to get the words out as I remembered the previous night. "She has a spiral fracture in her arm, a concussion, and a grade 1 spleen bleed, so she'll be staying at St. Ambrose for a few days. I stayed with her last night and ill be back as soon as I'm finished with my patients," I explaied.

"How did you find out? Who hurt her?" Amy immediately started questioning.

"Oh you're already acting like a worried Auntie," I laughed trying to lighten the mood. "Her foster brother, Josh, beat her up over some argument. I don't know all the details but I know they haven't got along well. And she called me. Well, Callie called me. Thankfully her and Arizona were the ones treating her. I dont think I would have trusted many other people."

"Auntie?" Charlotte finally interjected. "I mean I'm all for minding my own but I have a feeling this is turning into my business too," she laughed, but I could tell she was serious.

"Ive been meeting with a few social workers in the area. I want to adopt Clara. I mean, I really want to adopt Clara. Last night nearly broke me, and I have only known her a few days. I don't know, I just have this feeling. Like this is right," I explained.

"Well you know yourself better than anyone," Charlotte began. "If you think you're meant to be this girl's mother, then you of all people can make it happen."

Clara POV:

Yesterday was terrifying, for more reasons than one. Of course, getting attcked was one of the scariest experiences of my life. But I don't know what's more scary. That- or the fact that I think I just scared off my only chance at having a real mom.

Don't get me wrong, I dont think I regret calling her. I don't think I would have been able to make it through the night without her by my side. I'm just so afraid that she'll see me as damaged- too much work. She'll want the perfect child. And she deserves it. She's so kind to me, and I'm afraid I'll just burden her like I always have.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by a knocking on the door.

"It's Cora and Joanna," I heard Cora say through the door.

"Yes, come in!" I said, so relieved that they were here.

As soon as they walked through the door, Cora wrapped me in a big hug.

"Not too tight Cora," Joanna said. "She's hurt remember."

"Oh! Im so sorry," Cora said, immediately pulling away.

"It's okay," I smiled, still holding on to her hands. "I missed you."

"I love you so much Clara," she said, climbing into bed with me.

"I love you too," I replied.

"How are you feeling Clara?" Joanna asked. I think she was a little nervous about the whole situation.

"I'm in some pain, but I'm doing better than yesterday," I answered honestly.

"I'm so sorry about what Josh did Clara. I wish I would've separated you two sooner. I never knew he would get so violent," she explained sincerely.

I just nodded. I didn't really know what to say.

"So, I heard Addison stayed with you last night," Cora said, breaking the silence. "Did she help you?"

"Yes," I smiled. "She makes me feel safe- like you," I said looking up at Cora.

I didn't want to leave her. Even if Addison did adopt me, I hope I would still see her. She's been there for me when no one else has.

*

A few hours later, I heard a familiar voice from outside the door.

"Hi Clara, It's Addison."

"Hi," I replied, welcoming her in. "How was work?" I asked.

"You sound so much older than just 8," she laughed. "It was good. My patients are all doing well," she smiled.

"I didn't rush you out did I?" I asked. She didn't respond, only looked at me confused. "I mean, I didn't make things complicated did I?"

"No sweetie, of course not," she answered.

"Well I know you spent your whole night here with me, so I know you must me tired. I'm sorry," I said honestly.

"Hey, don't be sorry," she said, holding onto my hand. "I want to be here for you Clara. I chose that okay? And I would choose that over and over again."

"But what about your friends? What about your patients?"

"What about them?" She asked.

"Well, I know you must be really important and a lot of people must need you. What if I take up too much of your time and then you don't want me anymore?" I asked, finally allowing myself to be honest.

"Clara, I care about you so, so deeply. I knew that from the moment I met you. And I promise you that if you do get to come live with me that I will always put you first," she explained. I don't know how, but I could tell she was being sincere.

"What about Cora? Will I still get to see her?" I asked.

"Of course," she replied. "We'll go see Cora as much as you want."

"Thank you for staying with me," I smiled.

"Absolutely," she replied.

*

A few days later, I was able to leave the hospital. I was very excited to go back to my room with Cora and my own space. When I got to my room, the school work that I had missed was laid out on my bed, along with a note from my teachers explaining the assignments.

As a rummaged through the stack, my art project caught my eye: the one that I was working on the day Josh attacked me. It was only halfway finished, with the waves and sky painted- but no shore. In the note, my art teacher said that I wouldn't have to turn in the project for a grade and to not worry about making it up.

I had other ideas.

A/N: Sorry for the late post! How was your week? AP tests are right around the corner for me 😭How do you think her meeting Amelia will go? Thanks for the support!