31: Free vs Trapped

Clara POV:

Today, Emily, Scarlett, and Diana are coming over to hang out on the beach. This is the first time that I have ever been able to have friends from school over to my house. I thought I was going to be nervous, but really, I'm just excited. Plus, I had a brand new yellow bathing suit that Arizona and Callie had gotten me for Christmas that I couldn't wait to wear! Scarlett was wearing blue, Emily red, and Diana purple, so we basically had over half the rainbow.

I walked downstairs to find Mama cutting up some fruit for us to bring down to the beach.

"You look adorable in that! Let me take a picture to send to Callie," she insisted, looking up from her fruit to see me in my new bathing suit.

I flashed a quick smile for the picture before walking into the kitchen and wrapping my arms around her. Well, I was still only about 4 '9 so my arms went up to about her waist.

"What's up snuggle monster?" She laughed.

"Nothin'," I replied.

"Are you excited? They should be here in about 20 minutes."

"Yea," I smiled. "I hope that they like going in the water. I'll get hot sitting on the sand the whole time."

"I'm sure they'll at least come to the edge with you," she laughed.

"I have a question," I said.

"What's that sweetie?"

"What if the hearing doesn't go good next week? Are you still gonna be my Mama? I don't want to go anywhere else," I admitted.

"Hey," she said, pulling onto her hip. "I'm always going to be your Mama, okay? Don't you worry about next week. Me, and Auntie Amy, Callie, Arizona, Mer, Charlotte, and Mr. Jonathan are all sorting it out," she assured.

"Okay," I smiled, before hiding my head in her chest.

*

"Wow, I can't believe the beach is really right outside of your house!" Scarlett exclaimed as we began quickly walking from the deck onto the beach.

"Me either," I laughed.

"This is really awesome, Clara," Emily added.

We all laid our towels down in the sand, before setting down our things and taking off our sandals. Luckily, it was a bit of a cloudy day, so the sun wasn't too hot. Plus, Mama and I always like to look up at the clouds and see what we can find.

Once we were all sitting down, I dramatically laid my head back against the sandy towel to look up at the sky.

"Hey look, that cloud looks like a dolphin," I smiled, nudging Diana who was sitting next to me.

"Really? I think it looks like a big butterfly," she replied, as Scarlett also laid down to look up at the sky.

"I see a dolphin too," Emily added.

"How can you even see it? You're not even looking up," Scarlett laughed.

"No," she replied, "look out there!" She said, pointing out to the ocean.

I immediately looked out towards the ocean to see a group of light gray fins popping in and out of the water, leaving a trail of white splashes as they went.

"Mom!" I called out, turning back to face her sitting on the deck. "There's dolphins out there!"

"I see them!" She yelled back, although I could see her smile from all the way up on the deck.

"I've never seen them before," I told Emily.

"Me either," she smiled.

"We should go see if there's fish," Scarlett announced.