23: Stay With Me

Addison POV:

As Clara and I were walking down the hall of the practice, I looked to my side and noticed that she was no longer walking right next to me. Instead, I turned around to see her standing completely still, staring blankly at the boy who accompanied Sheldon about 15 feet ahead of her.

The boy wore a confused, almost stunned expression.

I stood still as well, perplexed by the situation. Without warning, I watched as Clara's small body became limp, collapsing backwards in Charlotte's arms who thankfully swooped in to catch her. Immediately, I ran to her side.

"Ok Clara, you're safe honey wake up," Charlotte said gently, as she checked her pulse and nodded up at me.

"What happened?" I asked urgently, needing to know if there's something I missed.

"Oh God, I-I'm so sorry," the boy began as he slowly walked over to the three of us. Sheldon put his arm in front of him, holding him back. "I'm sorry Clara."

"Wait- you know Clara?" I asked immediately.

"Uh-I yeah," he stuttered. "I lived with her at my old foster home."

That's when it clicked.

"That's Josh isn't it?" I asked angrily, directing my words towards Sheldon.

I felt sick.

"Dr. Montgomery-" Sheldon started.

"Don't!" I interrupted angrily, standing up to walk towards the pair.

"I got her," Charlotte said from behind me, picking up Clara into her arms and taking her into her office. "I'll get Shepherd in here too for when she wakes up."

I simply nodded, not taking my attention away from Josh.

"Don't even try to explain," I began. "Why on earth would you think it's okay to bring him in here? After all she's been through, this could set her back!"

"Addison, he's simply a patient. I had no way of knowing that this was the same Josh that hurt Clara, and even if I did that's confidential. I wouldn't have scheduled him at this same time if I had known Clara would be here too," he replied.

"No, this is different and you know that," I defended, now in tears. "Do you have even a clue what she's been through?" I asked, now directing my questioning towards Josh.

"I- I'm sorry ma'am. I'm trying to change. I never meant to hurt her," he said, a terrified expression painting his face.

"Well, you did! Let this be a lesson for you to never, ever lay a hand on someone again. And don't you dare even think about going near my daughter," I said sternly, holding back my urge to scream in his face.

"Addison, Clara's awake," Charlotte said, poking her head out the door.

"Get him out of here," I demanded, taking a breath before slowly opening the door to Charlotte's office.

There I saw Clara, small as ever and curled up tight in Amelia's lap, her head buried in her chest.

"He's gone," I announced to the small group. "It's ok sweet pea, he's gone now and he's not coming back. You're safe," I said softly, pulling Clara onto my lap and holding her chin up to look at me.

The terrified expression she wore was a mirror image to when I first walked into that hospital room, and it made me want to cry even harder. I held myself together for Clara.

"You're super sure he's gone," she asked softly after a while, poking her head up from where it was resting on my chest.

"Super sure," I assured.