19: What I Like About You

Clara POV:

As I walked through the familiar 2nd grade hallway, I clutched tight to Addie's hand. Ever since I was placed in Mrs. Parsons' class, the love I once had for school was gone. I was nervous that it wouldn't come back, even though I was out of her class. Perhaps the transition to another teacher would be even worse. But at least I had a new safe space now: Home.

"Alright, are you ready," Addison asked, smiling at me as we stood in front of the door labeled "Mrs. Walker."

"I think so," I answered.

"Alright, let's head in," Addison replied, turning the knob to walk into the classroom.

There was still about 15 minutes until class started, so the class wasn't completely full of kids yet. I immediately recognized two of my old classmates from the year prior, and even a few more from kindergarten. The classroom was also decorated much differently than Mrs. Parson's room. There was lots of art on the walls, and twinkle lights running across the border of the ceiling. It looked calm.

"Hi, you must be Clara and Dr. Montgomery," the tall brunette who was tending to the bookshelf announced after noticing our presence.

"Yes, please call me Addison," Addie smiled warmly as the woman made her way over to us.

"It's so nice to meet you both! I'm Mrs. Walker, I'll be your teacher. I'm so excited to have you joining our class. Mrs. Wilson has told me so many good things about you," Mrs. Walker said smiling, now crouched down to meet my eye level.

"She has?" I asked almost immediately, quite surprised.

Although, I regret my surprised expression now. Addison always tells me that I have to have confidence in myself in order to overcome the opinions of other people.

"Yes, of course," she replied. "Here, I can show you to your desk and your cubby where you can put your things. We also have a class library right over there, which you are welcome to borrow books from, as well as the beanbag chairs and fidget toys: but those are a little more in demand," she winked.

I followed closely behind her, trying to keep focused on the information she was telling me.

"Deep breaths Clara. You're okay," Addie whispered comfortingly in my ear as I unpacked my things.

She has gotten pretty good at telling when I'm starting to get overwhelmed, which is honestly a bit strange for me. It's a good strange though. I don't think anyone has ever cared to pay so much attention to me as to notice things like that. I have to say, I have been getting better at telling when she needs a hug as well. Hugs are always appreciated by the both of us.

"I don't want you to worry about catching up with the class. We'll take things at your pace, and I'll make sure you have everything you need," Mrs. Walker explained. "Alright Clara, feel free to join the rest of the class. We'll start a little after the bell. Addison, would you mind talking to me about Clara for just a minute?"

"Of course," Addie replied, walking to the door with Mrs. Walker. "Have a good day!"

I smiled back at her, settling into my seat. Hopefully I will be able to have a fresh start here.

*

Once school was over I sat at the kitchen island with Addie, chatting about my day while eating the apple she had cut me.

"And then, we got to do science outside! We looked for bugs in the grass and Mrs. Walker taught us how to make observations around us. We didn't even have to do work along with it!" I explained happily, in between bites.