8: Humble Abode

Amelia POV:

"Amy, you didn't get the peppers," I heard Addison call from the other room as I was busy fluffing up the pillows on the couch.

Clara was coming over to the house today, and Addie had me go out to get the ingredients for pizza while she cleaned up.

"Addie, she's eight. She's got cheese, pepperoni, pineapple, sauce, and some spinach for some flare. No eight year old I've ever met likes peppers on pizza. Plus, we've got ice cream in the freezer. She's practically set for life," I laughed.

"And how many eight year olds have you interrogated about their pizza preferences?" she asked in defense.

"Good point," I accepted. "I'm really looking forward to meeting her today. I feel like I already know all about her so I cant wait to actually see her," I added.

"She's really gonna like you, Amy," she responded, coming over to the couch after putting the ingredients in the fridge. "You've got that vibe to you- you relate to anyone around you. You're magnetic."

I sighed, looking up into her eyes.

"What?" she said. "What's the look for," she continued when I didn't respond.

"Always doubting yourself," I stated. She looked up at me confused. "You're so quick to encourage others but can't seem to give yourself the same grace."

"Amy," she sighed. "I haven't even said anything."

"I know you," I smiled. "I can read your mind," I said swirling my hands, lightening the mood. "You better soak up all my wisdom while you can get it. I won't be around here 24/7 much longer," I smiled.

"Wait, did you find a place?" Addison asked.

"Moving into my apartment on Thursday. I already checked your schedule and you have a completely clear morning at the practice! Plenty of time to help me move boxes," I winked.

"I'm gonna miss you hangin around here," she smiled sadly.

"Oh stop," I laughed. "I'll be right down the street I'll be over so many times you'll wish I'd leave the state."

"Ok," she smiled, putting her shoes on. "So I'll be back with her in about 45 minutes, and then we'll show her around, do pizza, ice cream, and the beach for sunset," she explained rather quickly. "She loved the beach last time."

"Ok Addie, I promise everything will be fine. Just.. go with the flow ya know? She's gonna love you. I'm sure she already does," I said gently, wrapping my arms around her.

She returned the hug before pulling away with a smirk on her face.

"And you-" she began. "FILTER."

"I know, I know," I said throwing my hands up defensively. I had always been bad about letting my tongue slip at very inappropriate times.

Clara POV:

It had been a few days now since I had been home from the hospital and I'd like to think I'm doing well. I'm still in quite a bit of pain when I try to move around, but the headaches are gone and my arm is hurting less and less.

Since today was a Wednesday, Cora was at school. Normally I would be too, but it's a teacher work day for the elementary school. At around 1:00, I hurried down the stairs to get to the window seat. I had dressed myself in best T shirt and floral shorts, with a small backpack over my shoulder.

The bag didn't hold much: just a hairbrush, my pain medication, and my painting. I decided that I would finish the painting of the beach as a gift for Addison. Normally, I didn't give my artwork to anyone. I didn't really think anyone would appreciate it. But I wanted to really thank Addison for all she's done for me in so little time. She came to visit me every day in the hospital, and I was beginning to feel at home just being in the same room as her.