28: Business as Usual

Clara POV:

"What time's mom coming home?" I asked Arizona as we finished up the cookies we were baking.

"Uh," she said, checking her phone. "I thought she was supposed to be home an hour ago. Callie hun, when does Addie get off work tonight?"

"5:30," Callie called out from the bathroom.

"I'll give her a call. Sofia, take the cookies out when the oven beeps please," Arizona said, patting my shoulder and stepping aside.

Sofia nodded, turning towards the oven to keep watch.

I love spending time with Callie, Arizona, and Sofia, but I always liked it better when my mom was there. I'm definitely getting a lot closer with Sofia though! It's really refreshing to have someone in my life who I know is dependable. Not that Scarlett and aren't dependable, but they don't always have ways of communication with me like Sofia does through Arizona and Callie.

I looked up from the tray of freshly baked cookies to gaze at Arizona's face in the corner of the room as she talked into the phone, her smile changing into a concerned expression.

"Of course, we'll be there right away," she said into the phone while she made her way back over to me.

"What's up?" Callie asked, noticing the mood shift as she walked into the kitchen.

"So," Arizona began, pulling out a chair and motioning me to sit on her lap, to which I immediately accepted. "Cora hasn't been feeling well lately, and today she had a fall. When she fell, she hurt her head a little, so she's staying in the hospital tonight. She's gonna be just fine, but Addie wants to stay up there with her. Is it okay if we bring you by to stay with them?" She explained, holding onto my hands.

How had Cora gotten sick when I wasn't there to take care of her?

How did I let this happen?

"Yes," I answered, looking between Callie and Arizona through my now glassy eyes. "Yes, we should go now."

"Ok sweetheart," Arizona said as I stood up. "Callie, I can take her if you want to stay here with Sofia."

"Alright," she agreed. "Have Addie call us and give us some updates," Callie added, giving me a hug.

"We should bring her some of the cookies. She loves cookies," I said quickly, trying to find some way to help.

"That's a perfect idea. I'll get some into a bin for us to bring," Arizona answered.

*

Not long after, the two of us had pulled up to St. Ambrose Hospital and parked the car by the visitors entrance. As we got out of the car, it occurred to me that I haven't really seen much of the place despite the fact that my mom worked there, as well as the fact that I was a patient there recently.

We walked through the large glass doors, and Arizona led us confidently to the desk. There was a large amount of people scattered about throughout the waiting room, as well as doctors and nurses walking about in a variety of colored scrubs.

"Hello, we're here to see Cora Wheeler up in peds," Arizona said, addressing the receptionist.

"Of course Dr. Robbins, let's get this little one a visitor's pass and then I'll have a nurse take you guys up to her room," she explained as she printed out a small sticker and handed it to me.

"I've got it covered," I heard a familiar and commanding voice announce from a nearby hallway.

"Auntie Amy!" I announced happily as I ran into her arms.