36: Remedy for a Broken Heart

Addison POV:

I heard my ringtone sound and immediately lunged for the phone. Before I could pick it up, Amelia slapped my arm, grabbing the phone with her free hand.

"No," she said. "You can't keep doing this to yourself."

"Amy, what if it's her?" I protested.

"Addie, you know I want it to be but I just don't think you can keep getting your hopes up. She might not text back."

"So what? You're suggesting I give up?" I snapped.

"No, Addie. Of course not. I'm just worried for you. You need to take care of yourself too. You've got two kids to care for, as well as a demanding career, and now this," she replied.

"I know," I sighed. "Just- let me have the phone," I said softly.

"Okay," she said, giving it up.

I looked at the phone, the pit that was momentarily filled with hope sinking back into its emptiness.

"Addie?" Amy tried.

"It's coop. He's confirming times for the party."

"I'm sorry," Amy said, wrapping her arm around me and leading me to the couch.

It was late at this point, and both kids had gone to bed.

"Can you stay?" I asked Amelia.

"Of course," she replied.

"You've always been truer than my 'real' family," I smiled softly.

"Hey that's my line," she said, nudging me. "Love you Addieee."

"Love you too," I smiled, nuzzling my head into her lap.

"And I'm taking this for myself," she winked, taking my phone into her lap and turning the ringer off.

I rolled my eyes before giving up my fight, setting my focus on rerun of Criminal Minds on the TV.

**

We stayed together in comfortable silence for about 2 hours, blowing through a good 2 and a half episodes of the show. Amelia insisted it was a sin to leave the episode half watched, but I had an early morning at work tomorrow.

I stood up to head to my room, and Amelia to hers. Even though she moved out, she'll always have a room here. Before going our separate ways, Amy handed me my phone. The screen lit up as I tapped the screen, seeing a message notification for 50 minutes passed.

It was from Mer.

"Amy," I said, pulling her arm my way before she could keep on her way. "Mer messaged."

"And?" she replied, raising her eyebrows expectantly.

I read the message silently before handing her the phone to read for herself.

// Addie, I'm sorry to have left you waiting so long. I miss you very much. I just don't know if I can make things right. I don't want to hurt you more than I have. Send Clara my love. //

Amelia handed the phone back, saying nothing. I opened the space bar, typing out my reply.

// I don't think I can do this without you. //

Clara POV:

I walked down the steps on Thursday morning to see Mom, Auntie Amy, and Cora down stairs completely focused on decorating. I remained undetected by the trio as I watched them hang a variety of pink and purple balloons, daisy streamers, and set out pots of flowers. Not until Amelia moved the flower pot to the living room did she see me poking my head out from behind the couch.