32: Almost Paradise

Addison POV:

"So what do I do Mama?" Clara asked, sitting in the back seat next to Amelia on the way to the hearing. The car was packed, with Mer and I in the front, Amelia and Clara in the middle row, and Arizona and Callie in the back. Charlotte had to wrap some things up at the hospital, so she would be meeting us at court.

"So when we get to the court, you and I will go sit up with Mr. Jonathan at the stand. The judge is going to ask you to come up to the stand, and then he'll ask you if you want to be adopted by me. You'll answer him, and Auntie Amy will go next. After that, you and Auntie Amy are gonna go get some ice cream and I'll meet you back at the house," I explained.

"Of course I want you to adopt me. You're my mom," Clara answered.

"I know," I laughed. "You just have to tell him that. Does that sound good?"

"Yea," she replied.

Although Jonathan told me I had nothing to worry about, I was nervous. Very nervous. What if I screw up or the social worker puts in a bad report? What if the judge is homophobic? I know my mind is spiraling, but I don't like the idea that my relationship with Clara is being judged. Literally. I love her. End of story.

As we neared closer to the court, Mer gently held my hand as we drove down the side streets. She stayed on the phone with me for a while last night. I couldn't keep my mind from racing. I'm thankful she was there though, because she was the one person grounding me during the events that were soon to take place.

***

I walked into the courtroom with Clara holding tightly to my hand. She looked absolutely adorable in her blue and white dress. I met eyes with Jonathan at the stand, and he gave me a warm smile.

"Mommy look, Ms. Wilson's here," Clara said, waving to her art teacher.

"That's so nice honey," I answered, happy that she had such a wide support system.

Also in the section were Charlotte, Cooper, Jake, Pete, and a few mutual friends. Amy, Arizona, Callie, and Mer filled in the empty spots, as Clara and I took our seats next to Jonathan.

"All rise, the circuit court is now in session. Judge Faller presiding for the adoption hearing of Clara Sebert to Dr. Addison Forbes Montgomery. You may be seated," the judge began. "I have had time to review the paperwork sent in from both Mr. Davis (Jonathan) and the social worker, but before we address those, I would like to hear from Clara and friends," he smiled. "Clara, why don't you come up here and have a seat at the big chair right next to me."

Clara looked up at me, a questioning look in her eyes.

"Go ahead," I smiled, but my heart rate was telling a different story.

She walked up to the stand, shook his hand, and introduced herself.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Clara," she said, smiling nervously at her feet.

Jonathan as well as the judge looked at me shocked, and I couldn't suppress a small laugh. Her adult manners still hadn't changed.

"It's nice to meet you Clara," he smiled. "This will be fast. I just want to ask a few questions."

"Ok," she answered.

"What's your favorite thing about living with Addison?" He asked. I eagerly awaited what she would say, for some reason searching for validation that I was doing a good job.

"Well," she thought for a moment. "That's hard, because I love a lot of things about living with Addie. I love Saturdays, because she's always off work and we get to do a bunch of fun things together like eat pancakes, and draw, and go to the beach," she smiled.