13: Family Dinner

Addison POV:

"Watch your back," Callie called, bringing her lasagna out of the oven as I was standing at the counter tossing the salad. It smelled amazing.

"When are you going to teach me how to cook like that, Callie?" I asked, looking back at her.

"Whenever you invite me over to do so," she smirked.

I missed having people over. I never really did so super often. Of course I had Amy, Charlotte, Coop, and Violet over, but other than that I didn't have too many visitors. This would be the first time I would be truly getting back together with Arizona and Callie since they moved here months ago. We've met up here and there, but mostly in between hospital shifts. And of course with Clara; but I much prefer not to think about that.

Callie had gotten here early to help make the food, and Arizona would be heading over separately with Sofia, as well as Meredith and Amelia. I had told everyone dinner would be at 6:00, so everyone should be starting to arrive fairly soon.

We had quite the spread made. Lasagna, salad, rolls, chicken chesapeake, and some fruit and chicken nuggets for the kids just in case. Callie had really outdone herself. I know I just mentioned that she came over to "help" with the food, but it goes without saying that I did the salad, fruit, and rolls, and she did the things that require actual skill.

"Never was there ever a girl so pretty, do you think we'll be in love forever? Do you think we'll be in love?" Callie sang rather seductively as she finished washing off the used bowls. Callie regularly sang to music as she worked, which I was used to from the OR. I didn't mind at all, as she had a beautiful singing voice.

"Diet Mountain Dew baby New York City, can we get it down low," I paused and laughed a bit. "Down and gritty," I sang quietly.

"C'mon sing it girl!" Callie laughed. "How come you never sing?" she asked.

"Because I don't sing. You know that!" I smirked.

"You did just then. Do it for Queen Lana."

Just then, the doorbell rang. Before I could open the door, the door swung open all on its own, and in walked Amy and Meredith. 

"I tried to tell Mer I had a key, but she insisted on ringing anyway," Amy shrugged, pulling me into a hug.

"Hi Amy," I laughed.

"Thank you for having us Addie," Meredith said. "It smells amazing in here," she added, poking her head around the corner.

"Oh you can thank Callie for that!" I assured.

"I miss Callie!" she exclaimed, pulling me into a hug, her warm chai perfume rubbing off onto my skin. I have to admit, my smile faltered a little as she pulled away. "Is Clara here?" she whispered, smiling.

"Let me go check on her," I replied. I think she was still getting ready. We had a late morning, just sleeping in and having a nice late breakfast. We went to take a walk around the neighborhood for a bit, and she took a rest after that.

"Ok," she smiled. "I'll go meet Callie in the kitchen."

As I bounced up the stairs, I couldn't seem to stop smiling. It just seemed like everything was going right for once. Like everything was falling into place, exactly where it should've been all these years.

"Clara, how ya doing?" I asked, knocking lightly on the door.

"I-mm, I'm good. You can come in if you want," I heard her say through the door.

I entered the room to find her sitting at the edge of her bed looking at one of her school books, completely dressed and ready. She looked adorable, wearing a light pink sundress.