29: Breathe Deep

Meredith POV:

"Dr. Grey, welcome to St. Ambrose," Dr. King greeted me as I arrived at the attending's station for my first shift.

"Thank you," I replied smiling.

It had been months since I had been in a hospital, and honestly, I was kind of freaking out. I mean, this was all new, and I'm starting to second guess not just going back to practice in Seattle. Not that I didn't love it here, because I do, but maybe jumping back into medicine and starting at a new hospital is too much at once.

"I paged Amelia down here to show you around," she smiled. "You can pick up your cases from the nurses station as well as your tablet and badge. I'll have Amy go with you. You only have a few patients today so you can get the ropes."

"Greyyyyy," I heard Amelia sing, walking towards us before I could thank Charlotte properly. After all, she had gotten me a job on very short notice. I guess my reputation helped me there. "Welcome to my arena!"

"Well, this is technically my arena," Dr. King refuted.

"Whatever you say," she laughed with a solute.

"Thank you, Amy," I laughed. "Now, I hear you're supposed to show me around?"

"Let's go," she said promptly, taking my arm in hers and beginning to walk down the hallway. "You will come to find out that this place is indeed smaller than Grey Sloan, so we aren't working in a castle here. The hallway to your left has the attending's lounge and on-call rooms, which I'm sure will be put to good use on your shifts with Montgomery," she wiggled her eyebrows. I slapped her arm.

"Hey, you two take your time. Buttt they are there if you are wondering! Anyway, to the right we have our nurses station," she explained further, walking up to the station.

"Dr. Meredith Grey, nice to meet you," I said, introducing myself to the nurse standing behind the desk.

"Shelia, great to meet you! I have your things here," she smiled warmly, reaching under the desk to present me with my scrubs, badge, and cases.

"Thank you both," I smiled in return.

"See ya Sheila," Amy smiled, walking me toward the attending lounge. "Here, let's get your crap together. Have a good day. Remember, just be confident."

I smiled in response, setting my things down before hearing a buzz on my phone.

// Have an amazing day. Can't wait to hear about it tonight. Try not to let Charlotte boss you around too much (; \\

"You're blushing," Amy said pointedly as she laughed.

"Is it that obvious?"

"Very."

"Well, we're having a date tonight so you're on Clara duty," I smiled.

"Can't wait!" She exclaimed, walking out and leaving me alone to start my day. But first, I typed out my response to Addie.

// Thank you <3 Amy gave me the tour already. Can't wait to see you (: //

Just have to keep my eyes on the prize.

I checked my cases to notice that I actually only have one patient coming in for an api later, so it's a very slow day for me. Not that I'm complaining. Charlotte made a note that I could help out in the pit if I have some time, so I decided to head down there just to get the flow of everything.

"Hey, Grey!" Dr. Wilder said, smiling as he made his way over to me. I was surprised he recognized my face from just our one meeting over dinner.

"Hey, starting my first shift in the pit," I laughed.