39: Satan Returns

Addison POV:

After landing from the early flight to Seattle, I went to grab some coffee before meeting Bailey at the side entrance to the airport. It was rather busy in the morning, as I landed by the time the most popular flights were getting ready to board. I begrudgingly walked to the crowded Starbucks line, bumping into a younger woman on the way.

"Sorry," I apologize.

"Oh no, it's my fault. I'm in a bit of a rush this morning. I had to catch an early flight back for my shift today," the brunette replied.

"No problem," I smiled, nearing the front of the line.

After some time, I had obtained my large caramel macchiato and was standing by the corner of the drop off area. A black Volvo pulled up beside me with Miranda behind the wheel. She popped the trunk as I quickly sat my bag down and hopped in the passenger side.

"Miranda," I said happily, pulling her into a half hug from my seat. "Nice wheels!"

"Thanks Addison," she said. "You don't even know how much we miss you."

"Can't be as much as I missed you," I winked.

"Okayy," she pretended to roll her eyes. "We going to the hospital or the hotel first?"

"Hospital of course," I smiled.

"Of course."

***

"Addison Montgomery!" Richard greeted us happily as soon as we walked through the doors of Grey Sloan Memorial. Richard and I had always had a very close relationship, and he had become somewhat of a father figure to me over the years.

"Richard!" I greeted, pulling him into a tight hug. Many people are taken back by the fact that I'm actually a very huggy person once you get to know me. Most people at St. Ambrose knows me as very serious and focused, which while I pride myself on being most of the time, but it's nice to be around old friends and coworkers who know the real me.

"It's good to have you back," he added.

"I'm not back Richard," I smiled, patting him on the shoulder and continuing to walk in the direction in which he led the three of us.

"That's what you said last time," he replied.

"I know. I'm serious this time though. I'm not leaving my friends, and I'm certainly not moving my kids. They've been through enough," I explained.

"I see," he answered. "Now, not much has changed in the OB wing since you've last been here. Our chief is Dr. Carina Deluca, and she will be there to give you any assistance you may need. Our general surgery resident, Dr. Wilson, will also be joining us in the OR. Would you like to join afternoon rounds with us in 10 minutes? I know you must be exhausted from your flight," he explained.

"Sounds fine," I smiled.

"Alright then, go ahead and grab your things from the nurses station and join us in room 340 at 12:30," he said.

"See you then," I smiled, walking towards the nurses station.

As I made my way, the halls filled around me with many unfamiliar faces, as well as some nurses and a few attendings I recognized.

"Hey, Satan!" I heard a male voice call out behind me.

I immediately turned around to see Alex Karev quickly approaching me.

"Karev?" I laughed.

"So it is you!" he smiled. "It would be really embarrassing if I called someone else Satan. They might've taken offense."