12: Touchy Subject

Clara POV:

As I began to flutter my eyes open, I noticed the sun peeking through the curtains of my new room.

It was morning.

I had slept through the night this time. I couldn't help the small smile rising on my cheeks as I turned to look at the clock. It was 7:00 a.m. Today was Friday, which meant we would have to leave soon to go to school.

Honestly, I wasn't too fond of school at the moment. I had a test today in math, and a project in science on Monday. Lately, school just hasn't been my biggest priority. Between everything going on with the move, my friends, ... Josh. As I've mentioned, it's been a little hard for me to sleep well since the incident with Josh. I don't even like thinking about it. That's why I just think about it as "The Incident," even though I know it's much more than that. I feel really bad about it, and am really trying to work on my focus while I am at school- although, that hasn't been easy either.

As I was gazing at the sun beams entering the room, I heard the door creak open, and looked up to see Addison with a soft smile on her face.

"Good morning," she said, stepping further into the room. "How did you sleep?"

"I slept well," I yawned, still only half awake. Addison giggled.

"Well, school is about 15 minutes away so we have about a half an hour until we need to leave. School starts at 8:30, right?" she checked.

I nodded.

"Alright, while you get ready I can make us some breakfast. Is there anything you'd like or something you usually had with Cora and Joanna?"

"Um, could I have some jelly toast with some berries?" I asked after a moment.

"Mhm," she smiled. "Alright, I think it's time to try and get out of bed," she laughed.

"Can we just stay in bed all day?" I joked, but I knew that I really wasn't joking.

"I wish, but it wouldn't look too good if I didn't get you to school on your first day with me," she smiled.

I agreed, smiling back and stretching, as she turned to walk out of the room. I buried my head in my new squismellow one last time and sat up to get ready for the day.

*

"Clara, is everything okay?" Addison asked me as we were almost to school.

"Mhm," I responded.

"Okay. I just noticed you were a little quiet this morning so I didn't know if there was something on your mind that maybe you'd like to talk about."

I thought about what she said for a moment, and how I wanted to answer. I knew she cared for me, that was clear. I just didn't want to make her think she had to worry about me.

"Um, I just have a test today so I'm a little nervous," I told her, not giving too much away, but giving her some.

"They're testing you guys in second grade?" she asked, sounding surprised. "Just try your best, okay?"

I smiled back at her through the mirror. I did feel a little bit better after talking to her, and that was good because we had pulled up.

"Alright, have a good day Clara," she smiled.

"Bye Addie," I waved, hopping out of the car and starting the walk to my class.

Unfortunately for me, any confidence I had gained was soon crushed when I entered the classroom.

*

"Clara, I need to see you for a moment," my teacher, Mrs. Parsons, called before the bell had rang.