4: Trouble In Paradise

TW: brief description of physical violence

Addison POV:

Today should be a relatively easy Wednesday. I have a few regular prenatal visits scheduled at the practice this morning, and then I'm going to head down to the hospital to check on my post op patients. Amelia and I had agreed to keep the adoption process quiet until things were more finalized, and that had been working out just fine so far this week.

However, I did think about Clara quite a bit. I knew she was young and didn't necessarily have access to a phone, but I was secretly hoping she would call me. Hopefully it was a good sign. Maybe she missed me too, but was just waiting for our visit next Tuesday. When I buzzed into the elevator, another one of our psychiatrists, Sheldon, was there to greet me.

"Why, hello Addison," Sheldon greeted.

"Good morning Sheldon," I replied simply.

I was not in the mood for shrinking this morning. That was kind of our thing- deep, 30 second conversations in the elevator. He would be able to get too much out of me that I was not willing to share.

When we both exited the elevator, we made our way into the kitchen where Amelia and her best friend, Dr. Charlotte King, were already chatting.

"Hey Charlotte," I greeted.

"Mornin' Montgomery," Charlotte greeted in her signature southern accent. "The triplets are all sick. Coop stayed home with em today. Georgia's got it the worst."

Charlotte and Cooper were married with 4 kids: Mason and the triplets. They were some of my best friends at the practice.

"Ugh, that's terrible. What do you think they have?" I asked.

"Oh, whatever it is, it's some nasty stomach flu they most definitely picked up from preschool."

Amelia laughed, seemingly at Charlotte, but threw a wink at me. At least I would miss the preschool disease central with Clara.

These moments were some of the most lonely: having to hear all about my friends' kids, wanting nothing more than to have my own stories to add. It's not that I didn't love their kids and love hearing about them. Of course I did. I just wished more than anything that I had my own.

"Send Cooper our wishes," I laughed sympathetically, grabbing my coffee and heading to my office for my first appointment of the day.

My time at the practice was over rather quickly. These were the best days: the days where I got to see all the healthy babies and happy parents. Not all days were like that, so I'm grateful for them when they come.

Before leaving, I figured I would catch up with Amy a bit to see what her plans were for tonight.

"Hey, Addie," Amelia said as she looked up from her computer to see me standing in her office. "What's up?"

"Just wanted to check in and see what you were doing tonight before I head out to the hospital. I should be home by 9:00 but just wanted to make sure you'd be okay."

Since Amelia lived with me, I always felt like her protector. She was my sister, and my best friend. I needed to make sure she was safe, especially after losing her brother and her history with substance addiction.

"Addie, I'll be fine," she assured. "I'm actually gonna go look around at some apartments in the area and then hit a meeting."

"You're moving out?" I asked.

"I'm thinking about it. I think it's time, you know? You might have a kid soon. I want to give you some space, and it might be good for me to be a little more independent too. I'll still live right down the road. Probably be over every night," she laughed.

"Yeah, I guess that's true. As long it's what you want," I replied, waving goodbye to head over to the hospital.

Clara POV:

I love school. While the work was sometimes boring, and there were always tests and disruptions, it is truly one of the only places where I get to feel like a normal eight year old.

During math lessons, I always sat by my friends Emily and Scarlet. Emily was super excited for her dance recital after school today. Scarlet was going to watch as well.

"I wish I could go," I said truthfully.

"Maybe my mom could pick you up," Scarlet offered.

"Yea, I could ask, I guess!" I replied.

It was doubtful. While Joanna did her best, it was hard for her to keep track of all of us. I had to get used to my own company outside of school. We continued to chat as we walked in a line towards the art room for the last class of the day.

Today, we were painting landscapes with watercolor. My teacher, Mrs. Wilson, was always very helpful, but she always told me that I had a natural talent. Yesterday, she had spent class teaching us different techniques with the colors, so we had all day today to jump into our projects. I grabbed my usual seat next to Emily and Scarlet and began to paint.

While I usually talked to my friends during other classes, I was very focused during art. Emily and Scarlet were used to it by now, and just let me do my thing. I decided I was going to paint the beach- just like the one Addison took me to.

I really did like her. I would be lying if I said I didn't think about her: what she thought about me, if she would be back for me, what it would be like to live with her. I tried my best to push those thoughts away. That was the advice I had always lived by: don't get attached.

As I painted the soft blue waves, I pictured Addison getting splashed by the waves. Maybe I should add a seagull, just like the one we followed to the water. I thought about what she said again, about living down by the ocean. This painting could be my home.

When the bell rang, I carefully packed up my paints and waved goodbye to Emily and Mrs. Wilson. Scarlet and I continued to walk outside together.

"Here," Scarlet said, handing me a piece of paper. "This is my mom's phone number if you can come tonight."

"Thanks so much," I said, putting the slip of paper into my pocket.

Although it was really nice, I would probably end up throwing it away. It just wouldn't work out. As I waved goodbye, I spotted Josh and his friends standing by the crosswalk. Great. Normally Cora picks me up from school, but sometimes Josh fills in when she has to stay late.

"Let's get movin' C," Josh called. "I've got things to do."

I hurried over to them, just ready to get home.

"This your sister?" one of the boys laughed as we walked down the street.

Josh's demeanor dropped for a moment. "Nah- just a family friend."

"Wha-" I began, Josh quickly stepping on my foot to stop me. What was he doing?

"You could throw her like a football," one of his friends laughed.

"So, what do you guys like so much about Josh anyway?" I asked, genuinely wondering why someone would like to be friends with someone so full of himself.

"Well, for one he's really smart," one added while we turned down a side street. "He used to always help me with my work back in 7th grade."

I didn't know that. He had never offered to help me.

"Yeah, he's pretty chill. So are his parents. They pretty much let him do whatever," he added.

"Parents?" I questioned. "But Josh-"

Before I could finish, I felt Josh's hands tightly grasp my shoulders and pin me against the hot brick wall. His friends began to say something, but I couldn't make it out over the ringing in my ears as he punched my abdomen again and again.

I tried to get away, but he pulled my left arm backwards, pulling me onto the ground. At that moment, the world seemed to close in on itself. I didn't feel the pain anymore, only darkness.

Come on Josh 😞Let me know how you're liking the story so far! I would love to know any ideas you guys have! Any votes or comments would be sooo appreciated. Update coming ASAP!